Under 21? Over 5%? Sorry Mate, No Chance

Ripsaw

all this blame on alcopops a blind man could see that all they are is ready mixed drinks its rubbish to put the blame on them.

No it isn't. Fifteen years ago, kids had the choice of Merrydown cider, Breaker or Vodka, all of which have a distinct alcohol taste Now they can get bubblegum, fruit or soda flavoured drinks that you can barely taste the alcohol in.

Alcopops made drinking palatable to a large majority of youngsters and by making them taste indiscernably like Irn Bru and other soft drinks, they're deliberately targetting kids and binge drinkers.

I don't give a poop what they call them in NZ, a ready mixed vodka and coke is not an alcopop.

ah yes but I'm talking about lectro blaming alcopops for underage drinking must say thats a stupid idea anyway it will never happen

I bet the people in Ireland said the same thing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
all this blame on alcopops a blind man could see that all they are is ready mixed drinks its rubbish to put the blame on them.

I blame the breweries and their marketing men who are actively targetting the underage market with sweet tasting, easy to drink, colourful kiddies alcohol.

Weird you should choose NZ as a reference - it has a pretty poor record when it comes to alcohol related problems.

Remember when Tony Blair announced his big crackdown on public drunken behavior? Within 2 weeks his son (16 at the time) was found near unconcious in a shop doorway.

I don't recall much more being said on the subject after that.

The brewers can get away with producing soft flavoured alcohol because there is a market for the product. The brewers can deny any responsibility for the controlls of the market place, as that isn't their job (as long as their adverts stay just on the correct side of the line).

Taxing one particular share of the market will only shift the market if those doing the "binging" are still wishing to binge.

Which brings us back to crappy legislation. The Government works in 5 year cycles, attitudes take at least a generation (16 to 24 years). The Government can do little in their lifespan, but must be SEEN to be doing something to the voting population at least.

C'est la vie, innit?

Now they can get bubblegum, fruit or soda flavoured drinks that you can barely taste the alcohol in.

Alcopops made drinking palatable to a large majority of youngsters and by making them taste indiscernably like Irn Bru and other soft drinks, they're deliberately targetting kids and binge drinkers.

It amazes me how we've just accepted it and not really said very much about how the breweries have managed to push these products into the marketplace. Kinda like when Michael Jackson took a 12 year old boy as his date to the Oscars a few years back. Everyone kinda accepted it and didn't see the harm....*

*This posting just illustrates how easy we accept things when we are fed it by the media and it does not suggest then alcopops are linked in any way with kiddie fiddlers ;)

but most of them are made by spirit companies like smifnoff ice drink and bacardi breezer. stands to reason they have vodka or bacardi in with soft drink taste if you mix up vodka with irn bru the taste would be like the irn bru wiked

15 years ago you could still buy maddog which was alsorts of flavours and flavored wine,I liked the peach one strawberry was nice too.

underage drinking isnt new and I dont think blaming new drinks is the answer. we all used to do it without alcopops and even if they were banned kids would still get smashed

this page here http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:tR3...+alcopops&hl=en

has types of drinks and sprits mixed with soft drinks are still drunk more often by youngsters than alcopops

I remember when Hooch first came out, tasted like p*ss. They've definitely improved the flavours and covered any taste of alcohol in alcopops.

I started drinking with my friends when I was 14, a friend lived in a pub and we used to sit in the corner drinking bacardis and cokes. I remember thinking "Woh! Alcohol works." and feeling strangely attracted to a sweaty boy with fat lips (some things never change).

I have a sister who is 15. Her and her friends drink every weekend with the sole intention of getting p*ssed. This is because, as they say, they can't have a good time sober. They tend to stay away from the expensive alcopops and are more in favour of the alcoholics favourites - cider (£2.99 for 3 litres) and cheap vodka. They drink to get p*ssed and aren't prepared to spend extra on a nice taste. Some have had their stomachs pumped, others have been arrested, others have had underage sex. It's a sorry state of affairs and increasing the age when you can buy strong alcohol isn't going to stop the 15 year olds who aren't legally old enough to buy alcohol at the moment. They'll do what they do now, get somebody else to buy it for them.

It can be very worrying at times, teenagers are sneaky and when the world revolves around their social life, they find ways to get what they want. I did it too of course, but my generation weren't as reliant on alcohol to have a good time and back then they weren't as strict in the pubs and if we could sit quietly in a pub without drawing attention to ourselves, noone batted an eyelid. I started going round the pubs in Ramsey when I was 15 and was never asked for ID until I was 18 (I was actually asked as recently as last week - just to give you an idea of how strict the licencees have become). Oh how times have changed. Taboo and lemonade was the equivalent alcopop back then.

has types of drinks and sprits mixed with soft drinks are still drunk more often by youngsters than alcopops

soft drinks & spirits are alcopops doesn't matter if mixed by yourself or ready bought

With the thought of new regulations comming in will make it increasingly difficult for younger people to buy either, This is probably a good thing altho I would of thought that Showing at least one form of Photo graphic ID would be better mainly to stop under age drinking. As for raising the age limit for drinks 5% and over I agree with whoever it was that pointed out it won't stop people getting drunk or drinking.

What are the parents doing, allowing kids to turn up at home drunk, not only that whos paying for all the drink.

One of the reasons the brewers came out with alcopops was that it was quicker to serve up in the clubs ect, it cuts down on the glass breakage (my opinion only).

No, pretty much the *only* reason was to target underage drinkers and people who like to be seen in fashion.

I think you'll find they were serving beer in bottles a long time before alcopops, not to mention that fact that most modern nightclubs (read: in the UK) have plastic glasses.

What are the parents doing, allowing kids to turn up at home drunk,
I would make a guess that the majority of parents of children who drink are also either out getting drunk or at home getting drunk. They make wonderful role models you see. I've spoken to police who have taken young people home to 'safety' only to be met by their mother/father 'drowning' on the doorstep in front of them.

not only that whos paying for all the drink.

Generally the parents. You see - they want their 'night out' too. They've been working all week and come Friday night they want to relax with a drink or two. They either want the place to themselves OR they get some booze in to keep the kids happy while they go out. £10 for the kids for booze is cheaper than a babysitter.

You don't believe me?

Ask anyone who works with young people.

The majority of young people get drunk every weekend with the blessing of their parents.

It stinks - but it's the truth.

One idea would be to reduce the age limit for drinking in licenced premises (perhaps with a time restriction so the drinking is in pubs rather than clubs) to 16 and enforce the rules about serving to obviously incapacitated people.

That way the drinking is more managed and in an adult environment. Rather unregulated and on the streets.

What are the parents doing, allowing kids to turn up at home drunk,

I would make a guess that the majority of parents of children who drink are also either out getting drunk or at home getting drunk. They make wonderful role models you see. I've spoken to police who have taken young people home to 'safety' only to be met by their mother/father 'drowning' on the doorstep in front of them.

I had to sneak in off the last bus so they didn't catch me ;) Although my folks aren't alcoholics or drunks.

Someone mentioned education... isn't that what they're trying to suggest improvements to with todays news on STDs? Hmmm...

There are some good suggestions (and anecdotes :P ) in this thread - all better than Brown's effort. The police are issuing an ID card soon that is designed to prove kids are OVER 18. It's a fairly distiguishable design that stands out from most ID cards and has been shown to landlords and licencees, etc. That might work if there is more asking of proof going on.

Archived