Laxey flooding

the stinking enigma

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

Exactly. Totally the wrong time of year to build a ‘salmon ladder’ and to leave a flood defence barrier open. 

Just watch now as they start blame shifting. It will be the trees in the sluice gate that were to blame. They did contribute to back up certainly but they were assisted by a huge great fucking hole in the flood defence wall. This was authorised by a government department and carried out by the contractor. It wasn't the rain fall, it wasn’t the trees, it wasn’t the residents it was that fucking hole! Why won’t they just admit it? 

Anyway. Huge lawsuit coming their way from the insurers. Let’s see them wriggle their way out of that one. 

Well, MUA says it's not just trees but other stuff as well. 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Apparently the forecast was for 30mm of rain and over 100mm fell in Laxey?

Yes, 100mm over 8 hours measured in several places including on the Mountain Road (Black Hut I think).

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

How far up the Laxey River do Salmon & Trout travel to spawn? Anyone know? The Laxey River must be one of the longest rivers on the Island.

I think they mostly head up Glen Roy (so through the Glen as opposed to past the wheel) rather than the Laxey River. But this is hearsay from a fisherman, so not sure how accurate. I've never fished the rivers of Laxey to check.

Shame Homarus had his ridiculous meltdown really, he'd probably know.

Edited by TheTeapot

The wier was built by the electric railway , it was a patent built one that was supposed  to regulate the river flow and allow water to travel down a lade to a water tubine  to generate power for the tramway, some off the bits are still their , the stone building just up from the shore pub held the turbine and a sluice valve controlled the flow. it caused a flood in the 1935 ? flood which again caused serious damage on glen road 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I think they mostly head up Glen Roy (so through the Glen as opposed to past the wheel) rather than the Laxey River. But this is hearsay from a fisherman, so not sure how accurate. I've never fished the rivers of Laxey to check.

Shame Homarus had his ridiculous meltdown really, he'd probably know.

The Laxey River is joined by the Glen Roy river in the Village pretty much exactly where the hole had been created - no doubt another contributory factor.

The Laxey River goes up through the Valley Gardens/Old Washing floors, to a lake behind the Salmon Centre / Old Manx Engineers Building then onwards up towards Snaefell.  

The Glen Roy River goes under the big bridge, through the Glen Gardens and up through Glen Roy at the foot of the Axnfell plantation.  Eventually it more or less terminates at a lake/reservoir. 

There are definitely Salmon that go up Laxey River then up Glen Roy river up at least as far as the foot of Axnfell plantation.   Not sure about the Laxey River after it is joined by the Glen Roy river though. 

I think Sulby river is probably longer...

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The Laxey River is joined by the Glen Roy river in the Village pretty much exactly where the hole had been created - no doubt another contributory factor.

The Laxey River goes up through the Valley Gardens/Old Washing floors, to a lake behind the Salmon Centre / Old Manx Engineers Building then onwards up towards Snaefell.  

The Glen Roy River goes under the big bridge, through the Glen Gardens and up through Glen Roy at the foot of the Axnfell plantation.  Eventually it more or less terminates at a lake/reservoir. 

There are definitely Salmon that go up Laxey River then up Glen Roy river up at least as far as the foot of Axnfell plantation.   Not sure about the Laxey River after it is joined by the Glen Roy river though. 

I think Sulby river is probably longer...

Anyone remember Ballalhennagh (sp?) gardens up Glen Roy? There was a spring and little pond at the top of that place that was the start of that river. Think the guy died and the place grew out but don't know for sure. I used to love going there when I was a kid, they sold water plants which was where I first saw a newt.

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Anyone remember Ballalhennagh (sp?) gardens up Glen Roy? There was a spring and little pond at the top of that place that was the start of that river. Think the guy died and the place grew out but don't know for sure. I used to love going there when I was a kid, they sold water plants which was where I first saw a newt.

The lake/reservior is a bit further up the valley than where the Gardens were, about a 15 min walk past some old abandoned buildings and is decent sized (Olympic swimming pool).  I remember the pond and assumed outflow in the Balla-wotsit gardens and it was entirely separate and just joined onto the Glen Roy river on the valley floor. 

Not sure what the big lake/small reservoir was used for but it is still there and has some old buildings, a sluice and rusted gearing etc there. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, South cape said:

The wier was built by the electric railway , it was a patent built one that was supposed  to regulate the river flow and allow water to travel down a lade to a water tubine  to generate power for the tramway, some off the bits are still their , the stone building just up from the shore pub held the turbine and a sluice valve controlled the flow. it caused a flood in the 1935 ? flood which again caused serious damage on glen road 

Actually in 1930.  According to the Laxey Heritage Trail leaflet:

The broken weir serves as a reminder of the disastrous effects of a rain storm in September 1930 which resulted in the weir being blocked by a tree trunk swept down the swollen river. The resulting flood affected all but one property in Glen Road and knocked out the power station, on the far bank of the river, which supplied the Manx Electric Tramway.

The omniscient Manx Notebook has an article from 1900 describing how the scheme worked.  Incidentally it was only really used to provide power in the seven month of the 'low' season when there were no tourists and MER traffic was much lighter.  Obviously this would coincide with the months where there was more water in the river as well.

But the 1930 floods, while even more extensive in Laxey than 2019,  (for example stables further up the valley were washed away) differed from this year in that they were much more extensive across the Island.  Laxey may have been unlucky as to where the rain fell this time, but I can't help feeling that there must have been many similar events since 1930 without the weir causing similar problems on its own.  There may have even been trees around during that period.  So we have to look at what was different this time, though undoubtedly the blockage of the weir made things worse.

• Thanks 1