Laxey flooding

the stinking enigma

• 2 weeks later...

The residents of Laxey really need to get organised if this mess is to be sorted out. If they wait for the DOI, nothing will happen and they'll be flooded again. This could be the way forward for Manx politics; well organised pressure groups and their local authorities, forcing Government's hand on issues that need urgently addressing. Government is in a state of powerless paralysis; completely unable to make decisions or act on them because of the dead hand of unaccountable chief executives with their armies of managers; and local business interests blocking Government's every move. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The residents of Laxey really need to get organised if this mess is to be sorted out. If they wait for the DOI, nothing will happen and they'll be flooded again. This could be the way forward for Manx politics; well organised pressure groups and their local authorities, forcing Government's hand on issues that need urgently addressing. Government is in a state of powerless paralysis; completely unable to make decisions or act on them because of the dead hand of unaccountable chief executives with their armies of managers; and local business interests blocking Government's every move. 

Tonights weather forecast is for lots of standing water and the risk of flash flooding. Good luck Laxey, it could be a long night.

Good luck to everyone who lives down there. This is a good day to prepare. Have a group of volunteers on standby tonight and through the night. If I were them I'd even block roads off for a few hours with sandbags if necessary when the rain comes. Do it - and make the authorities react. Then things may start to change. Talking will get you nowhere with the DOI or Government. Get out there and take control yourselves.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Good luck to everyone who lives down there. This is a good day to prepare. Have a group of volunteers on standby tonight and through the night. If I were them I'd even block roads off for a few hours with sandbags if necessary when the rain comes. Do it - and make the authorities react. Then things may start to change. Talking will get you nowhere with the DOI or Government. Get out there and take control yourselves.

I'm a bit unsure of this, the residents were stating that at the last downpour there were no sandbags or help present? It seems that the Civil Defence were there, along with the DoI before the crisis and reacted accordingly. The Civil Defence are volunteers and it's a bit egregious not to give them credit for actions taken. 

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm a bit unsure of this, the residents were stating that at the last downpour there were no sandbags or help present? It seems that the Civil Defence were there, along with the DoI before the crisis and reacted accordingly. The Civil Defence are volunteers and it's a bit egregious not to give them credit for actions taken. 

There were sandbags there; it was just that the DOI used them all to protect their own working area and left none for the residents :lol:

The Civil Defence, to their credit, got on top of things when they intervened, though IIRC, there were still affected properties that needed to be pumped out.

More power to them.

What we also need now is a prom-action group. And a marina-action group. And a pothole-action group. And a roadside vegetation and tree limbing-action group. Etc etc.

(Can anybody see a common denominator here, btw?)

• Like 2