Laxey flooding

the stinking enigma

27 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I think I'm right in saying aren't I that the houses on the left as going down Glen Road have never flooded before right ? Other side a whole different story . I believe. A resident dragged the powers that be up the glen the other day and showed them how bad the maintenance on clearing etc was  . Basically nothing has been done since 2015 

The last time they flooded was September 1930. And for much the same reason. (Minus the digger)

Since then regardless of heavy rainfall, flash floods, sustained rainfall over days on end the houses on the left and in the right have not flooded. 

Lower down where bottlenecks have occurred, yes, higher up. No. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

While insurance will pay out but not without issues...The effect and mental issues can not be measured..I also believe one person at least wasn't insured and has just been renovating his property ...god help him he must be distraught

There are many without insurance. Some because the insurers refused to issue insurance due to the proximity of the river and others who didn’t see the need. 

24 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Bob ..I can say I totally agree with your summery of what's happened . And as far as government trying to get out of there responsibility is just mind blowing . Utter despicable actions by all concerned..My heart goes out to all you residents  and your predicament . The pictures are there and cannot be denied . 

For Dr Allinson who we thought was one of the good guys to make a public statement to say it was not the cause is a huge slap in the face for the residents most of whom have lost everything and are now moving into rented accommodation  

For Martin Perkins to say they cannot find out who authorised the eco project is quite unbelievable. 

For the boss of the MUA to say one thing on Tuesday and another today is staggering. 

This is our government.our transparent open government. 

Are you happy with this? 

• Like 2

Hopefully this will really be a watershed for the lying avoidance of responsibility ..can't see how they are getting out of this as too many pics and witnesses ..Scum really and the CS feeding them the stories and what to say !! 

Edited by Numbnuts

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

i'm beginning to think the new bridge should have been a swing bridge like the one in douglas harbor so when it pisses down they just close the road and lift it up to let all the trees through to the harbour.

Or do what they said they woukd do in 2015 and keep the river clear !! Lessons despite constant claims never get learned 

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

ah goody,  someone to blame.

Reading IOM online the blame game has well and truly started. They’re all pointing fingers at everyone else in an attempt to avoid what looks to be a clear liability for someone as the insurers of the damaged properties are going to want to recover off someone the minute it’s suggested that the construction works could have caused it. So regardless of IOMG saying “It isn’t important who is to blame its about fixing the problem” it is actually going to be very important as to who is to blame as this could easily be a multi million pound claim against someone. It’s not just a random natural disaster. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s not just a random natural disaster. 

the hole in the wall gang do seem to be the ones who's actions are to blame,  just cos someone may have said do it this way doesn't make it right,  good job no one told them to put their hands in a fire.   i guess you could say the dam excavator was to blame?

Edited by WTF