Laxey flooding

the stinking enigma

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Direct action is what's needed before these bunch of piss-takers sit up and listen. Block a few roads, break some glass, turn up the heat. Manxies are, and have been, far too soft on the robber barons who just take the fucking piss... 

Very disturbingly, I think you’re probably right. Certainly nothing else seems to stir this shower.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Very disturbingly, I think you’re probably right. Certainly nothing else seems to stir this shower.

Less than 1/3 of ( eligible ) voters can be arsed to even vote. Most of those who do probably forget who their MHK is . Less again ever try to contact their MHK to ask why they vote the way they do or hound them into doing something/ 

That is where the problem lies. They get voted in, do whatever they need to do to keep their heads down and keep their faces in the trough that keeps on giving. 

We the voters seem to be the idiots, not the deadheads who take home the barrow of gold.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Well said. Any normal society, parliamentary assembly, or media, would have relentlessly pursued Quayle over precisely the points you raise. However...

I’ve genuinely reached the point of despair with this government and, probably more so, the failure of Tynwald to hold it to account. But that’s occurred of course because they’re essentially the same thing. The 50% turnover of Keys membership at our last election has, in fact, proved to be a disaster.

You’re so right on both points. It’s been years since I listened to any news but when I did I used to listen to Radio 4 Today programme and if a major incident occurred and government were at the bottom of it then the members or ministers would be grilled about it, often without mercy. Why isn’t that happening now? 

A major emergency incident was declared and our local radio puts out an interview with the CM about how the gov are going to give fifteen defected homes a cheque for £500. 

How come not one media person has tackled him about the unsecured hole? Would this be allowed to happen in the UK? Not a bloody chance  Why is it different here? 

Your second paragraph is also nail on head. It’s that despair that’s spurred me on to keep the truth out there in the face of nothing to see here move on.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Less than 1/3 of voters can be arsed to even vote. Most of those who do probably forget who their MHK is . Less again ever try to contact their MHK to ask why they vote the way they do or hound them into doing something/ 

That is where the problem lies. They get voted in, do whatever they need to do to keep their heads down and keep their faces in the trough that keeps on giving. 

We the voters seem to be the idiots, not the deadheads who take home the barrow of gold.

Largely true Dilli. We’ve got the government we deserve. I don’t think the turnout at the last General Election was ‘less than 1/3 of voters’ though. (It may well have been in the historically election-averse Douglas East though).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Largely true Dilli. We’ve got the government we deserve. I don’t think the turnout at the last General Election was ‘less than 1/3 of voters’ though. (It may well have been in the historically election-averse Douglas East though).

Shocked and stunned and a little bit amazed. Turnout was an average 53% :o

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So we’re not totally apathetic, just largely gullible.

Edited by Uhtred

4 minutes ago, Uhtred said:
11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So we’re not totally apathetic, just lately gullible.

Well half of us are the former and most of us the latter, I would say. ( it would seem )

Edited by dilligaf

8 hours ago, Uhtred said:

So we’re not totally apathetic, just largely gullible.

To be fair though, what's the point in voting? However the vote, whoever wins, the government is back the next day. 

There was a large turnover of mhks at the last election and people were saying this would mean real change.Then Quayle gets elected in dodgy circumstances, and if anything the government is less reforming, less progressive, even  more about managing the status quo than the Bell one. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

This is because there is no alternative. We are ever hopeful that this time round it will be different but it’s impossible for that to be the case while the government system exists in its present state. 

With no alternative, we carry on every five years alternating between hope and despair. I’ve said it before but it’s insanity but without an alternative choice we carry on buying into it. 

I was accused here once of having rose tinted spectacles as I truly believed government were doing a good job in the circumstances  I didn’t believe in conspiracies, or spin or dishonesty within government, I thought it was all paranoia  

I’ve had first hand experience of it up close and personal these last two week and I can tell you that it stinks  

So, what is the alternative? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Declan said:

To be fair though, what's the point in voting? However the vote, whoever wins, the government is back the next day. 

There was a large turnover of mhks at the last election and people were saying this would mean real change.Then Quayle gets elected in dodgy circumstances, and if anything the government is less reforming, less progressive, even  more about managing the status quo than the Bell one. 

Couldn't agree more Declan. As I said in that earlier post the 50% Keys turnover has proven to be a disaster. And the circumstances of Quayle's election as CM is (again as I've said before) an indelible stain on the democratic credentials of this Island. (Such as they are).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, John Wright said:

Please post a credible link to your claim that the sunken gardens are a flood defence.

"It was also noted that the sunken gardens were intended to act as defence by accommodating and preventing the spread of flood waters.’"

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51764&headline=Sea wall would have been 'detrimental'&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

"It was also noted that the sunken gardens were intended to act as defence by accommodating and preventing the spread of flood waters.’"

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51764&headline=Sea wall would have been 'detrimental'&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

Interesting. I note its dated 5 weeks after my post and 80+ years after the sunken gardens were constructed when the prom was widened in the 1930's. Also note there is no attribution to the "quote".

Is there anything contemporaneous with their construction that states they were installed as sea defences? To allow dissipation of over topping water? If they were then why aren't there sunken gardens on Queens Prom where there is enough space between the promenade walk way and  the footpath?

I've lived in seaside resorts all my life. Or my parents and grand parents have.  Morecambe, Blackpool and Douglas all have sunken gardens. I've never before heard them described as a sea defence.

Indeed modern usage, for several decades has been that at every gap between the sunken gardens and the promenade and roadway there are grooves into which flood defence boards are slid to stop water getting into the sunken gardens when waves over top. That would indicate that they are no longer being used ( and haven't for more than half their life)  as a water dissipation/holding reservoir flood defence, if that is what they ever were.

If the DoI is determined to raise the sea wall I wonder why they haven't thought of armoured glass,  such as that used on the glass bridges in China. I've seen it done somewhere on my travels.

As far as I understood it they were built as an emergency flood defense. It isn't desirable for them to flood, theyte sheltered gardens and that is their principle use, hence the winter barriers to try and keep the seawater out as much as possible, its very bad for the soil; but in extreme cases they are designed to flood. There is a lot of space to catch an awful lot of water, it makes perfect sense. I'd imagine someone in the museum library probably knows about it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If the DoI is determined to raise the sea wall I wonder why they haven't thought of armoured glass,  such as that used on the glass bridges in China. I've seen it done somewhere on my travels.

But maybe not for much longer, as China is closing down and checking many of these glass structures.  I imagine the Irish Sea might be even more powerful than any number of Chinese tourists.  And I suspect that China would be rather more skilled at installing and maintaining such structures than the DoI and their chums.