Laxey flooding

the stinking enigma

Was aware of that Roger. More a H&S risk with people actually standing on them. Different risk to being beaten by the waves and rocks. Sounds like a manufacturing defect. I've been to China. Stuff appears superficially good but H&S and finish and maintenance always looked suspect. It'd be single 6x4 foot panes between iron, steel or concrete posts. I've seen it used somewhere, but cant think where.

54 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But maybe not for much longer, as China is closing down and checking many of these glass structures.  I imagine the Irish Sea might be even more powerful than any number of Chinese tourists.  And I suspect that China would be rather more skilled at installing and maintaining such structures than the DoI and their chums.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

"It was also noted that the sunken gardens were intended to act as defence by accommodating and preventing the spread of flood waters.’"

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51764&headline=Sea wall would have been 'detrimental'&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/leisure/marinegardens#.XcLLGPZ2uUk

Where in the attached does it state they are intended to act as a defence?

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

As far as I understood it they were built as an emergency flood defense. It isn't desirable for them to flood, theyte sheltered gardens and that is their principle use, hence the winter barriers to try and keep the seawater out as much as possible, its very bad for the soil; but in extreme cases they are designed to flood. There is a lot of space to catch an awful lot of water, it makes perfect sense. I'd imagine someone in the museum library probably knows about it. 

I suspect it is 3 or 4 big waves worth before they fill. It is worth noting that Strand Street is below the height of the sea wall for almost all of its length, and that the present, (1930's) sea wall is below the height of the original sea wall (1830's) which is exposed just behind the Churches Book Shop

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It doesn't. 

There's no point in talking to you, you lack the ability to understand anything. Are you retired? Maybe you could nip along to the museum library and find out some more about it?

In other words it's akin to the horse tram "contract" - somebody just made it up?

On 10/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, Declan said:

To be fair though, what's the point in voting? However the vote, whoever wins, the government is back the next day. 

There was a large turnover of mhks at the last election and people were saying this would mean real change.Then Quayle gets elected in dodgy circumstances, and if anything the government is less reforming, less progressive, even  more about managing the status quo than the Bell one. 

I spoke to a disappointed MHK the other day. He was hopeful that real change would be achieved with such a large new intake but the 'old guard' got to them pretty quickly and quashed any hopes of anything happening! 

Those who quoted Lisvane in their manifestos should be ashamed and voted out next time! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That artists impression of proposed sea wall on Douglas prom.

cant they design something similar where the middle sections are railings that a proper flood defends is dropped into for certain times in the year, similar to the boards to the sunken gardens.

views in summer, flood defence in winter.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I really can't be bothered working out which of @Neil Down or @TheTeapot started this. You've both carried it on for too long. Be gone. Suspension awarded.

Only suspended teapot because he provided evidence contrary to the lawyers high self worth. Ridiculous decision as always. Downer antagonises everyone on every thread. Sits there in his stained y fronts all day being a complete dick. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

That artists impression of proposed sea wall on Douglas prom.

cant they design something similar where the middle sections are railings that a proper flood defends is dropped into for certain times in the year, similar to the boards to the sunken gardens.

views in summer, flood defence in winter.

Or even without railings. Just gaps into which steel barriers can slide when storms are expected.

• 1 month later...

There'll be roadside trees down in this. Not pruned back, wet, soft ground and a good blow. Just hope that nobody ends up underneath one :(

ETA. Good day for progress on Douglas prom....

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There'll be roadside trees down in this. Not pruned back, wet, soft ground and a good blow. Just hope that nobody ends up underneath one :(

ETA. Good day for progress on Douglas prom....

it could wash away some of the bullshit