Laxey flooding

the stinking enigma

There's still a hole in the wall, and the road is still in a mess.

Given that they already know that boulders can be moved by flowing water, it seems strange that they have persisted with that idea. Surely the boulders will move as far as they can, then form themselves into a blockage, against which fallen trees/branches can lodge to form a dam. And we know what happens then. Anyone got a spare double deck bus for a bit more infill?

What's the Manx for "concrete river" - if the salmon have been exterminated, you can no longer call the place Laxey (salmon river) can you?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It has. Sadly, also gone are the resting pools, essential for the wee salmon to rest before they begin their journey up river. What was (kind of) resting pools left have, last week) been filled in with tons of small stones. This action will more than likely have suffocated any salmon already in there. That’s if there are any salmon left after all the concrete that was poured in there in the summer. 

That doesn't sound good. Have you complained to DEFA?

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

surely all they need to do is dig the river bed out to make it deeper and give it more flow capacity.

You would think that. But it doesn't work like that. I'm not a rivers engineer but I know enough about Rivers to know you couldn't and wouldn't  do that

What about all the invertebrates living in there? and also I reckon its solid rock so you would have to blast it out. 

If you lowered the level all that would happen is the sea would run back in part way up

Its all about the difference in level as it falls and the relative level of the sea and I am sure of it was simple then it would be done. Really the flood water needs somewhere to go before it hits the bottleneck, which in Laxey  is very low down. It would probably be easier to just move the houses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

That’s happening next year. It’s a three year 96 million pound project. Next year a metre deep and wide channel is being dug river down the middle. I’m t should help with the flow and also keep more water away from the sides.

Unless all the huge boulders get stuck in it. 

£96m!!!!

No way. Are you sure? Isn't that for flood protection across the whole island and not just Laxey. £96m? It would be cheaper to rebuild all the houses on stilts surely.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-flood-defences-to-be-installed-in-lower-laxey/

The image is outside the Shore Hotel, and from the radio report - "The flood defenses will two feet of wall topped by two feet of glass."

From page 87: https://www.gov.im/media/1369450/laxey-flood-of-october-2019-independent-review-arup-full-report-and.pdf

"During the 1 October event, the Laxey River did not significantly overtop at
the Shore Hotel, however the property was flooded. CCTV footage shows
how the car park gradually fills with runoff from the road"

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-flood-defences-to-be-installed-in-lower-laxey/

The image is outside the Shore Hotel, and from the radio report - "The flood defenses will two feet of wall topped by two feet of glass."

From page 87: https://www.gov.im/media/1369450/laxey-flood-of-october-2019-independent-review-arup-full-report-and.pdf

"During the 1 October event, the Laxey River did not significantly overtop at
the Shore Hotel, however the property was flooded. CCTV footage shows
how the car park gradually fills with runoff from the road"

I would guess the glass wall is being put in to appease the new owners of the pub who are turning the place into a Boutique hotel/ pub, it will make it insurable.

Now't wrong with that to my way of thinking, its private investment. That gov are supporting as they should.