Laxey flooding

the stinking enigma

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

30mm of rain forecast this evening on the uplands. It’s due to  reach us between 12 midnight and 1.30 am. 1.30am is also high tide and it’s a big one. 

The contractors are still working in the river and half the of the river and a currently blocked with tons of stones to be used for construction.

I’ve just been down to talk with the construction guys and they’ve agreed to try and pull as many stones back out of the way as they can but truly, there’s nowhere else for them to go. They’ve also agreed to not leave any of their equipment in the river. 

They were very sweet and helpful and they already knew about the unusual rain forecast, but not that it coincided with high tide. 

Would you not think the DOI would be on top of this? I’m struggling to see why tons and tons of stones are left in the river (about twenty metres long and 2 metres high) when such a high rainfall is forecast. I emailed them but, there’s no reply as yet. It’s left to a home owner to go and ask the guys to get back in their digger and move them out of the way. 

I’m slightly staggered. Anyway, given the cover ups last time, this is my insurance policy inscase the same thing happens again tonight. No doubt all will be well, but just in case that it isn’t…

Yeah. Hope all goes well. It very noble of the workmen to not leave their equipment in the River this time. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

30mm of rain forecast this evening on the uplands. It’s due to  reach us between 12 midnight and 1.30 am. 1.30am is also high tide and it’s a big one. 

The contractors are still working in the river and half the of the river and a currently blocked with tons of stones to be used for construction.

I’ve just been down to talk with the construction guys and they’ve agreed to try and pull as many stones back out of the way as they can but truly, there’s nowhere else for them to go. They’ve also agreed to not leave any of their equipment in the river. 

They were very sweet and helpful and they already knew about the unusual rain forecast, but not that it coincided with high tide. 

Would you not think the DOI would be on top of this? I’m struggling to see why tons and tons of stones are left in the river (about twenty metres long and 2 metres high) when such a high rainfall is forecast. I emailed them but, there’s no reply as yet. It’s left to a home owner to go and ask the guys to get back in their digger and move them out of the way. 

I’m slightly staggered. Anyway, given the cover ups last time, this is my insurance policy inscase the same thing happens again tonight. No doubt all will be well, but just in case that it isn’t…

Have you alerted the Garf MHKs?

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Madness.  All that money and yet human error costs nothing - until it does.

It might not rain badly, the tide might not be as high as forecast, and I might be worrying about nothing, but I honestly thought that given their previous form that they would have been on it. I'm so bloody naive, and slightly cross.

You'll be fine, they stuck those big poles in the glen to save the day. 

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Low pressure can add another 1.0m to a tide, in extreme circumstances

Edited by Barlow

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

On the plus side, it's going to be the most extreme duck race ever! 

May the force be with you Rox.

The rain was horrific last night started around 12 pm it was battering against the window I cannot believe my hanging baskets survived, a few bins went walkies.   Glad things are OK in Laxey I was down on the Promenade a few days ago on a really sunny day it was great.    There doesn’t seem much going on where the cliff subsided ?  are those poor people still out of their homes ?   

I went for a stroll up Glen Roy valley at the weekend for the first time in a few years.  The last time I went up there was a couple of months before 'the big flood' and I did notice the huge volume of downed trees in the river that were obviously going to cause a problem at some point.  I'm glad to say it all looked quite good up there, someone has actually been doing some maintenance.  Even the log-stopper steel pillars have a pleasing rusty patina that makes them look a bit historical/sculptural. 

• Like 1