Paul Bell settles with HMRC for £67m

Grounds Keeper Willy

2 hours ago, 2bees said:

He was fined. Paid it. Case closed I presume.

Source?

Best I can find is his POCA case here (he lost) where they took his £500k , and the liquidation process of his companies.  The much vaunted £21m VAT fraud disappeared into the ether, either with much schmoozing or a strategically negotiated settlement with HMRC. 

I recall his defence in the POCA case was that if it succeeded it would prejudice any potential criminal trial in the UK, so at that point he was clearly expecting such a trial.

46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This was the thieving copper case too right? I could think of reasons things might have ground to a halt.

That got dealt with I recall, some stolen watches during search?

I think the VAT fraud is what’s due to come to a conclusion soon...

19 hours ago, Flubbergump said:

Source?

Best I can find is his POCA case here (he lost) where they took his £500k , and the liquidation process of his companies.  The much vaunted £21m VAT fraud disappeared into the ether, either with much schmoozing or a strategically negotiated settlement with HMRC. 

I recall his defence in the POCA case was that if it succeeded it would prejudice any potential criminal trial in the UK, so at that point he was clearly expecting such a trial.

That’s what I was talking about, it’s not the same thing - sorry :)

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Kopek said:

What were you two called before your current names???

I don't believe in reincarnation... 

But I do remember reading the forums years ago and there was a bloke called Barrie Stevens who used to be the cleaner at Safeway and Captain of the Ben-My-Chree (or was it the other way around?) 🤔

• Haha 1