UK General Election Dec 2019

woolley

4 hours ago, quilp said:

You're making things up again corporal. Japan and the EU have talked about trade deals but negotiations haven't yet been finalised. If you can provide a link to what it would add some credibility to your claim.

And there's this recent press release...

So absolutely no attempt to try and claim that your average brexiteer knew exactly what they were voting for? Progress of a sort I suppose.

I view that so-called trade release as clutching at straws. Anything to try and put a positive spin on your totally stupid and unnecessary brexit.

You recently posted up this rather sad admission:

On 10/28/2019 at 4:10 PM, quilp said:

I'm at the half way point reading through this thread from the outset and it's very revealing... :rolleyes:

So I'm surprised you do not remember this post. In it trade negotiator Jason Hunter takes apart the very shallow knowledge the editor of Brexit Central has of the realities of brexit. Just to reiterate that's the editor in charge of Brexit Central's output. It's very revealing. Even Japan gets a mention:

On 8/26/2018 at 10:33 AM, P.K. said:

WTO trade expert has a discussion with Brexit Central editor in chief:

https://t.co/JBb2zxsGOe?amp=1

The idea that the TPP nations or the UK's ex-colonies in general are somehow going to make up for the damaging stupidity of brexit would appear to be more that a little hopeful. Here is Australian Prime Minister from 2007 to 2010 Kevin Rudd's take on all this nonsense:

The claims that British trade with the Commonwealth can make up for leaving the EU is “the nuttiest of the many nutty arguments” advanced by Brexit supporters and “utter bollocks”, the former Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd has said.

In a lacerating piece for the Guardian, Rudd dismissed the claims by some Brexit supporters that the UK could strike deals with his country, New Zealand, Canada and India to soften the blow and said the UK risked undermining western values by leaving the EU in a weaker position when it left.

“I’m struck, as the British parliament moves towards the endgame on Brexit, with the number of times Australia, Canada, New Zealand and India have been advanced by the Brexiteers in the public debate as magical alternatives to Britain’s current trade and investment relationship with the European Union,” he wrote.

"Think the Commonwealth can save Brexit Britain? That’s utter delusion

“This is the nuttiest of the many nutty arguments that have emerged from the Land of Hope and Glory set now masquerading as the authentic standard-bearers of British patriotism. It’s utter bollocks.”

Have you managed to read through the entire thread yet?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, P.K. said:

So absolutely no attempt to try and claim that your average brexiteer knew exactly what they were voting for? Progress of a sort I suppose.

I view that so-called trade release as clutching at straws. Anything to try and put a positive spin on your totally stupid and unnecessary brexit.

You recently posted up this rather sad admission:

So I'm surprised you do not remember this post. In it trade negotiator Jason Hunter takes apart the very shallow knowledge the editor of Brexit Central has of the realities of brexit. Just to reiterate that's the editor in charge of Brexit Central's output. It's very revealing. Even Japan gets a mention:

The idea that the TPP nations or the UK's ex-colonies in general are somehow going to make up for the damaging stupidity of brexit would appear to be more that a little hopeful. Here is Australian Prime Minister from 2007 to 2010 Kevin Rudd's take on all this nonsense:

The claims that British trade with the Commonwealth can make up for leaving the EU is “the nuttiest of the many nutty arguments” advanced by Brexit supporters and “utter bollocks”, the former Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd has said.

In a lacerating piece for the Guardian, Rudd dismissed the claims by some Brexit supporters that the UK could strike deals with his country, New Zealand, Canada and India to soften the blow and said the UK risked undermining western values by leaving the EU in a weaker position when it left.

“I’m struck, as the British parliament moves towards the endgame on Brexit, with the number of times Australia, Canada, New Zealand and India have been advanced by the Brexiteers in the public debate as magical alternatives to Britain’s current trade and investment relationship with the European Union,” he wrote.

"Think the Commonwealth can save Brexit Britain? That’s utter delusion

“This is the nuttiest of the many nutty arguments that have emerged from the Land of Hope and Glory set now masquerading as the authentic standard-bearers of British patriotism. It’s utter bollocks.”

Have you managed to read through the entire thread yet?

Your average remainer had no clue what they were voting for.  

Things have moved on in the last 16 months since that video was produced and it's really just another piece of subjective confirmation bias for you to indulge in, as far as I'm concerned ("a lacerating piece for the Guardian" lol, says it all). Besides, whether anyone knew what they were voting for at the time is largely irrelevant by now - to coin a phrase, 'we are where we are.'

Had the referendum vote been respected by all parties in the first instance, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Just saw woollster's post. Do you think the average remainer knew what they were voting for..? I would estimate a small percentage of those who voted to remain have had their eyes opened to the undemocratic ways of the bloc.

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Things have moved on in the last 16 months since that video was produced and it's really just another piece of subjective confirmation bias for you to indulge in, as far as I'm concerned ("a lacerating piece for the Guardian" lol, says it all). Besides, whether anyone knew what they were voting for at the time is largely irrelevant by now - to coin a phrase, 'we are where we are.'

Had the referendum vote been respected by all parties in the first instance, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Just saw woollster's post. Do you think the average remainer knew what they were voting for..? I would estimate a small percentage of those who voted to remain have had their eyes opened to the undemocratic ways of the bloc.

It's not a video....

Didn't want to mention this but the EU - Japan trade deal that according to you hasn't been finalised? Well it came into force in full on 1st February 2019. So one part of your post is true to wit "Things have moved on..." Clearly without you.

Maybe you should just give up....

The Grauniad 15th Feb 2019 - Liam Fox's

overall success rate of less than 20% led to him being brought to the Commons to answer an urgent question on his department’s failures. Fox was thoroughly unrepentant – earlier promises clearly mean nothing to him – and urged everyone to celebrate his achievement in having signed six deals that were almost as good as the ones we already had as members of the EU. He also seemed utterly bewildered that Japan and South Korea were using Brexit as an opportunity to try to get the UK to agree to worse terms. Ken Clarke gently pointed out that could have something to do with us having less clout outside the EU. Fox disagreed. He thought it more likely the EU had nobbled the Japanese, urging them to make his life more difficult. The House of Commons stupidity bar has never been lower.

Your average remainer had no clue what they were voting for.  

Compared to the considerable unknowns and risks in a post brexit Britain, I'd say the status quo is a known.  

Are you expecting us to accept that remainers have no knowledge of the status quo? 

8 hours ago, quilp said:

'we are where we are.'

Yet the ability to learn from newly gained knowledge and experience appears to be lost on some.

Had the referendum vote been respected by all parties in the first instance

Why should we "respect" an outcome that was obtain through lies, deceit and outright law breaking?

Do you think the average remainer knew what they were voting for..?

Yes.  A simple answer, but the best one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50552068

"The Chief Rabbi has strongly criticised Labour, claiming the party is not doing enough to root out anti-Jewish racism - and asked people to "vote with their conscience" in the general election." 

So in other words "Vote Tory".

I have been watching this "anti-semitism" construct being used against the Labour party with interest, and hardly surprised that the mechanism that has been steadily built over the last few years is now winding up a gear.

BoJoRabbi.JPG

2 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

Compared to the considerable unknowns and risks in a post brexit Britain, I'd say the status quo is a known.  

Are you expecting us to accept that remainers have no knowledge of the status quo? 

I'd say the status quo is a given.

Because it's very obvious that the vast majority of those who voted for brexit were completely clueless as to the outcome the brexiteers have to try and give the impression that those who voted for Remain were equally gullible and stupid. The only way they can do that is to pretend that everyone was blissfully unaware that we were doing very nicely in the EU for the previous 24 years.

One thing that is a given for post brexit.

Losing the purchasing clout of 515m folks whittled down to less than 70m will quite obviously mean that new trade deals struck by the UK won't be anything like as beneficial as those enjoyed under the umbrella of the best trading bloc on the planet. Unless, of course, we can find a nation that's equally as stupid as the UK to do business with....

On 11/15/2019 at 7:35 PM, hagar the horrible said:

I like women generally speaking, however, I get a headache listening to Rebecca Long Bailey or Jo Swinson, primero class gobshites in my opinion, is it just me? or am I becoming a misogynist?

I would like to add the SNP motormouth gobshite Ian Blackford  to my list, not sure of the gender but certainly comes across as an old woman.

57 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

My goodness - Corbyn is simply a terrible champion of his own policies.

Car

Crash

TV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000bqpt/the-andrew-neil-interviews-election-2019-jeremy-corbyn

Pretty grim.

But then Neil is somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun and really fancies himself in the Paxo mould ie the simpletons in the audience think he's really giving the interviewee what for when the reality is he's just being downright rude. The victim immediately goes on the defensive and the interview ends up going in circles to nowhere.

Apart from having a rabid right-whinger like Neil on the Beeb kills all the stupid lefty bias nonsense stone dead. OK he's a lightweight but he is on the beeb.

I personally think this anti-semitism is either totally blown out of all proportion or may not actually exist at all. Because if it did exist any miscreants would have been kicked out in the glare of publicity on a regular basis ages ago. The fact that none have is, according to the UK rabid right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, "proof" that it exists right to the very top. 

So the square root of f-all is proof. Derisory!

Archived