UK General Election Dec 2019

woolley

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, woolley said:

I believe we should live in a tolerant society too, believe it or not. However, when that tolerance becomes so extreme that it impinges on and, in some cases, ruins or extinguishes the lives of others, then it has seriously lost its way and we have a problem. A tolerant society should not extend to tolerance of intolerance and tolerance of evildoing.

I think that you believe that and on an individual basis you probably practice it too but maybe not so much when it comes to your views on a  group of people who you don't know.  Perhaps it comes down to trust and you simply don't or won't trust strangers.

My position is that those convicted of capital offices (murder/rape etc) should face very lengthy sentences but I would not go as far as the death penalty.  There are plenty of examples of rehabilitation working.  

Also worth remembering that the best criminals are the ones who have never been caught.  We only catch the incompetent ones or the ones who want to be caught. 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

No, but I hear that the small parties are still clinging on to a hope of unseating Johnson himself. They reckon it could be tight. Don't know if that is wishful thinking or based on any polling. Still think anything could happen nationally as there are so many imponderables.

Indeed.  independent.co.uk talking about how many Conservative big hitters are in marginal seats, but I always think how much I'm being spun by that newspaper's articles...

I think that if I hear the phrase, "Get Brexit done" once more, I may do something socially unacceptable that I'll end up regretting.

Does Johnson not have anything else in his vocabulary?

27 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Are ther any UK newspapers left which are either unbiased or subtle enough so the bias is usually subconscious?

No. Whilst reading any of them you can actually feel the massage being applied. Same with broadcast media.

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think that if I hear the phrase, "Get Brexit done" once more, I may do something socially unacceptable that I'll end up regretting.

Does Johnson not have anything else in his vocabulary?

I can cope with that because it is a straightforward enough message. I will admit that the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear him say that he has "an oven ready deal" that we can "just pop in the oven". Such a crass, simplistic metaphor. I must have heard him say those very words multiple times, and I certainly don't go out of my way to listen to his blatherings. Corbyn is the same with his "NHS for sale to Trump" scare stuff.

Christ, they think everyone is thick.

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

I can cope with that because it is a straightforward enough message. I will admit that the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear him say that he has "an oven ready deal" that we can "just pop in the oven". Such a crass, simplistic metaphor. I must have heard him say those very words multiple times, and I certainly don't go out of my way to listen to his blatherings. Corbyn is the same with his "NHS for sale to Trump" scare stuff.

There was the, "Just add warm water" deal this morning too...

Right. I haven't heard that one. Still, no doubt he will say it frequently before Thursday.

I think he has a compendium of benign, attractive sounding phrases that his "minders" (as he calls them, making himself sound like an unsafe gorilla liable to stray into bother at any moment) have approved, and he never strays very far from those messages. Sometimes when he is speaking, he will go a bit off the approved line and you can see the realisation go across his face as he thinks "oh shit", and he quickly wheels around to one of those stock soundbites again.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

Right. I haven't heard that one. Still, no doubt he will say it frequently before Thursday.

I think he has a compendium of benign, attractive sounding phrases that his "minders" (as he calls them, making himself sound like an unsafe gorilla liable to stray into bother at any moment) have approved, and he never strays very far from those messages. Sometimes when he is speaking, he will go a bit off the approved line and you can see the realisation go across his face as he thinks "oh shit", and he quickly wheels around to one of those stock soundbites again.

Johnson has been coached and if he cannot give a straight answer to a question he reverts back to "get Brexit done" and other slogans.  Notable that his "minders" have very much kept him away from the media, not just during this election campaign, but also during his leadership bid.  It is almost as if they cannot trust him...

It is also a replication of the Trump presidential campaign with the repetition of "Make America Great Again".  All slogans with very little to actually back them up.

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

Johnson has been coached and if he cannot give a straight answer to a question he reverts back to "get Brexit done" and other slogans.  Notable that his "minders" have very much kept him away from the media, not just during this election campaign, but also during his leadership bid.  It is almost as if they cannot trust him...

It is also a replication of the Trump presidential campaign with the repetition of "Make America Great Again".  All slogans with very little to actually back them up.

Well, without getting into the politics across the pond, I do agree that this "style over substance" approach is to be deplored. In the UK it actually started back with Blair and the spin doctors. The leaders today hardly even scratch the surface of their policies when they speak publicly. They just keep repeating the same narrow mantra over and over again, and it's mind numbing. Johnson is by no means an idiot, but he is liable to come out with the occasional howler to frighten the horses. Obviously, they are afraid that he will have a Ratner moment in the run up to polling day, so they play safe and don't let him say anything beyond a sort of ten commandments in the style of Miliband. Crass.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Oven ready...plucked, gutted, trussed, stuffed, roasted...then carved up....

3 hours ago, woolley said:

My nephew Tom Clarke attended that televised Corbyn v Johnson debate in Maidstone last Friday by invitation which is how they do it. He was the third one in the audience to ask a question and appears 8 minutes into the programme. His query was if any deal we get will be better than the one we have. It is on BBC I PLAYER...that sort of thing anyway...

Further lies from the Conservative Party and they allege that an aide was punched by a "leftist extremist" outside a hospital. 

Turns out it was an accidental coming together but worked as a "dead cat on the table" to distract from Johnson stealing a journalist's phone earlier in the day.

Archived