UK General Election Dec 2019

woolley

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Logical thing as far as I can see would be for NI to unite with the Republic (they pretty much voted that way), Scotland to go it alone - they can apply to join the EU if they want afterwards - leaving the UK reduced down to the civil partnership between England and Wales, with a perpetual Tory government.  I can't understand why Boris wouldn't go for that.

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Logical thing as far as I can see would be for NI to unite with the Republic (they pretty much voted that way), Scotland to go it alone - they can apply to join the EU if they want afterwards - leaving the UK reduced down to the civil partnership between England and Wales, with a perpetual Tory government.  I can't understand why Boris wouldn't go for that.

And England no longer funds NI & Scotland, so can't be bad.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I honestly believe that if the English had a referendum on Scottish independence they'd be told to F off.

Agreed, I bet few in England know how expensive it is to keep Scotland in the manner to which it is accustomed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula#Public_expenditure_by_nation

56 minutes ago, hagar the horrible said:

What are the chances that the UK government refuse to invest further in Scotland just in case they leave the union, is there a legal obligation on the UK gov to continue spending on Scotland?

No.

29 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Agreed, I bet few in England know how expensive it is to keep Scotland in the manner to which it is accustomed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula#Public_expenditure_by_nation

The only way that Scotland could ever fund itself would be by declaring ownership and administrative responsibility (including taxation) of what's left of the North Sea oilfields.

Simple lesson - don't  go to the nation with a referendum on the EU, then conspire to frustrate that decision.   

I am undecided on Brexit, and whether the Conservatives  or Labour are the best for the UK, but look what happens when you ask someone for their opinion then ignore it.  Very simple. 

Archived