UK General Election Dec 2019

woolley

1 hour ago, Rog said:

Well it looks as though it's going to deliver what the majority of people over here want.

There is that strange definition of "majority" that gets trotted out when talking about the Tories/Brexit.

The "majority" of the 47.5 million registered voter either didn't vote or voted for other parties (33.6 million or 70.74%)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

There is that strange definition of "majority" that gets trotted out when talking about the Tories/Brexit.

The "majority" of the 47.5 million registered voter either didn't vote or voted for other parties (33.6 million or 70.74%)

Now Richard, or may I call you Dick, you're overlooking the first principles of psephology there!

4 minutes ago, Rog said:

Now Richard, or may I call you Dick, you're overlooking the first principles of psephology there!

You can call me what you like (that says more about you than it does me).

I am not over looking anything.  The Tories have the majority of seats, not the majority of votes.

So when you speak of the "majority" wanting something, you are incorrect to assume that the "majority" want the Tories to do anything.

8 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

You can call me what you like (that says more about you than it does me).

I am not over looking anything.  The Tories have the majority of seats, not the majority of votes.

So when you speak of the "majority" wanting something, you are incorrect to assume that the "majority" want the Tories to do anything.

My life!  You really don't understand even the first principles of psephology! Well never mind,j it's just one more thing to add to the list.

Sorry to move away from debating who knows the most about Psephology can someone have a go at answering the questions I posted earlier;

17 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Why do we now have unelected members of the House of Lords holding positions in the cabinet?  I thought we were trying to get away from unelected people dictating what we should do?

See for reference Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, manxman1980 said:

I do not understand how a Brexit supporter cannot understand why a Scottish Nationalist would want independence from the UK.  Am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Sorry to move away from debating who knows the most about Psephology can someone have a go at answering the questions I posted earlier;

See for reference Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith.

Yes. 

19 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I am not a Labour supporter by any means.  What the UK needs is real constitutional reform. 

Reform that removes the confrontational nature of British Politics and moves towards a much more co-operative approach. 

That means scrapping first past the post and the introduction of proportional representation.  That scares the bejezus out of many (small c) conservatives though.  

It'll never happen while there is such class distinction in Britain. The, 'elites', will continue to perpetuate the system for as long as they possibly can.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, manxman1980 said:

I do not understand how a Brexit supporter cannot understand why a Scottish Nationalist would want independence from the UK.  Am I missing something here?

It's doubtful whether many brexit supporters have given Scottish independence much thought up to now. Personally, I'd wish the Scots well, and am all for Irish unification but see any resolution of either possibly a decade away. 

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

How enlightening...

OK, Why should a BREXIT supporter not support the scotch desire leaving the UK?

Because scotland is a region of the united kingdom and the UK is a nation in its own right whereas the EU is NOT a nation, it is a collection of nations being dominated by the corrupt undemocratic European Commission.

59 minutes ago, Rog said:

OK, Why should a BREXIT supporter not support the scotch desire leaving the UK?

Because scotland is a region of the united kingdom and the UK is a nation in its own right whereas the EU is NOT a nation, it is a collection of nations being dominated by the corrupt undemocratic European Commission.

OUCH!

Archived