UK General Election Dec 2019

woolley

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Rog said:

Maybe by suggesting why it isn't a fact?

1.  Scotland has it's own distinct history.  Whilst undoubtedly a part of the British Isles (a geographic region not a political one) it was an independent Kingdom up until the Act of Union in 1707.

2. It has it's own flag.

3. It had it's own Government. 

4. It has it's own cultural identity. 

5. Arguably it has it's own national anthem.

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

1.  Scotland has it's own distinct history.  Whilst undoubtedly a part of the British Isles (a geographic region not a political one) it was an independent Kingdom up until the Act of Union in 1707.

2. It has it's own flag.

3. It had it's own Government. 

4. It has it's own cultural identity. 

5. Arguably it has it's own national anthem.

You missed out that it remains a part of the United Kingdom.  A nation. 

The loathsome EU is not a nation.

59 minutes ago, Rog said:

Unfortunately it is very clear that Scotland would far rather prefer to be a part of the EU than a "United" Kingdom run by the loathsome totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Boris Johnson.

I wonder why that is?

But then the UK has absolutely thrived as a member of the EU so Scotland would have as well. You can hardly blame for preferring that rather than a leap into the darkness...

1 hour ago, Rog said:

When the last referendum on Scottish Independence was held the "remain" campaign told the Scottish electorate (including EU citizens residing in Scotland) that a vote for independence was a vote for leaving the EU as well.  

Now Scotland is being dragged out of the EU by voters in England and Wales anyway.

The people of Scotland may well be getting tired of being ruled over by a "foreign" Government which has just appointed two unelected people to the Cabinet (Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith).

So if you believe in a Nations right to self-determination and freedom from unelected bureaucrats then you should be in favour of recognising Scotland's right to a second independence referendum. 

14 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

How about turning a new page? 

We have.  We are discussing the future of the UK post Brexit and the possible implications for the United Kingdom remaining United. 

As I have pointed put there appears to be an increasing desire for Scottish independence. 

It looks like there will be a border in the Irish Sea.

There has been a shift in Northern Ireland politics which saw a strong DUP seat change hands (I can't recall right now which party won it).

Boris Johnson has appointed two unelected people to his cabinet.

Please feel free to discuss any of the above and the impact they will have as we move forward.

(See nothing about remaining in the EU).

40 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Unfortunately it is very clear that Scotland would far rather prefer to be a part of the EU than a "United" Kingdom run by the loathsome totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Boris Johnson.

I wonder why that is?

But then the UK has absolutely thrived as a member of the EU so Scotland would have as well. You can hardly blame for preferring that rather than a leap into the darkness...

What some of the scotch population no doubt would like to be out of the UK there is no proof that the election means that, just that they want to remain tied up by the eu.

I doubt if the Scots were to be faced with independence - real independence - what the result would be.

Imagine no subsidies from England, no tax money sent from England, hopefully no free movement across the border, and having to take on about 10% of the UK national debt from the get go.

Personally I would very much like to see it!

Still no examples of lies though.  Unless you mean Blair.

As for the UK thriving under the EU, looking at the populations of our big towns and cities - you must be joking.

Never mind, we're now on the road to recovery.

18 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

When the last referendum on Scottish Independence was held the "remain" campaign told the Scottish electorate (including EU citizens residing in Scotland) that a vote for independence was a vote for leaving the EU as well.  

Now Scotland is being dragged out of the EU by voters in England and Wales anyway.

The people of Scotland may well be getting tired of being ruled over by a "foreign" Government which has just appointed two unelected people to the Cabinet (Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith).

So if you believe in a Nations right to self-determination and freedom from unelected bureaucrats then you should be in favour of recognising Scotland's right to a second independence referendum. 

I don't.  Scotland is a region of the UK.

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

In the same way that Israel is a region of Palestine. 

LOL!

I WONDERED how long that would be brought up!

As it happens modern day Israel is a fraction of Eretz Israel.

It is also a fraction of the designated area that was to be recovered from the ottoman empire to build the much reduced modern day Israel. But then - you're aware of that eh?

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Unfortunately it is very clear that Scotland would far rather prefer to be a part of the EU than a "United" Kingdom... 

Unfortunately, this is utter nonsense. Although you could be forgiven for believing it considering the media coverage given to the appalling wee Krankie and her political posturing. 

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

Lol, now why would you be bringing this spurious comparison up, I wonder? Didn't take 'em long, eh Roger..? 

Because it got a reaction out of you two.

I notice not one of you is responding to the appointment of Nicky Campbell and Zac Goldsmith to the cabinet despite neither of them being elected MPs.

2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Because it got a reaction out of you two.

I notice not one of you is responding to the appointment of Nicky Campbell and Zac Goldsmith to the cabinet despite neither of them being elected MPs.

What is to comment on?  They are both highly talented and experienced politicians and not having a seat in the HoC does not debar them being appointed to the cabinet.

Archived