UK General Election Dec 2019

woolley

20 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

One of them was voted out by their constituents yet still manages to get a seat in the cabinet and therefore the running of the country.

Is that the will of the people in action?

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05226

Read all about it.....The IOM was for some years under a minister of state in the Lords.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Rog said:

Not really. Not in  the context that you presented it.

Don't be daft Roger.

For those with a sense of humour it's funny. And it's certainly topical.

Plus it's only right that folks know what a flawed character we have as Prime Minister.

On 12/18/2019 at 4:14 PM, woolley said:

There were a couple of outliers who have dined out (and more) on predicting it, but the mainstream economists went straight over the cliff without noticing. Difficult to know whether the select were gifted with brilliant prescience or were simply the ones predicting disaster at the time and got lucky. There are always a few predicting disaster at any given moment.

I predicted it on here in 2006...and didn't even get a bag of chips out if it. Just search "imaginary money" and recession. Some interesting past posts going back.

I'm not predicting an imminent one affecting everyone currently though. A 'hit' for some though, yes.

32 minutes ago, quilp said:

People know Boris is flawed, that's also why they voted for him, in large numbers. Don't you see? The continued sour-grapery is hilarious, if you've got a sense of humour that is.

I can only speak for myself but I suspect that PK would also agree that Corbyn as PM would also be bad.  Just in a different way.

I have no need to criticise Corbyn.  He has managed to make Labour unelectable.

I would have been interested in see the results had Brexit not been a key factor.  I suspect a choice between Corbyn and Johnson would have led to low turn out and increased seats for smaller parties. 

That's all just speculation though and we know that people voted for Johnson and his promise of delivering Brexit, investment in the NHS, 50,000ish new nurses, 40 hospitals, 20,000 new Police officers and an Australian style points based immigration system.

I look forward to seeing him deliver on these promises with such a large majority he won't be blocked.

55 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Don't be daft Roger.

For those with a sense of humour it's funny. And it's certainly topical.

Plus it's only right that folks know what a flawed character we have as Prime Minister.

Where is the proof?

If you were refering to Corbyn or the Corbyn cabal or Blair or even the former Salmond the awful Sturgeon creature then you might have a point but In the case of BoJo there's little wrong with him and in restoring BREXIT back on track such as there might be is instantly set aside.

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I can't understand how the Labour old guard couldn't or wouldn't see how much of a negative effect Corbyn, as leader, was having on its popularity. Even I was surprised at the vote. McDonnell quite rightly took some of the blame too.

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I look forward to seeing him deliver on these promises with such a large majority he won't be blocked.

I look forward to it too. There's a lot hanging on what Boris and the party does next. And I'm not sure that the British are fully informed about the Brexit deal he's touting. It seems not far short of May's original plan and has been heavily critcised by Farage. Suspiciously, I haven't heard him (Farage) complain about it of late.

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I can only speak for myself but I suspect that PK would also agree that Corbyn as PM would also be bad.  Just in a different way.

I would have been interested in see the results had Brexit not been a key factor.  I suspect a choice between Corbyn and Johnson would have led to low turn out and increased seats for smaller parties. 

Unfortunately in May's ridiculous "Strong and stable" election Corbyn gained 30 seats. Which meant Corbyn was guaranteed to lead Labour into the next election and May was unable to proceed with her exit deal. Not forgetting, of course, that totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Boris Johnson voted against May's deal twice even though it was better than his current effort. 

I spend part of the year in a North Manchester constituency which went from Red to Blue. The Brexit Party candidate was absolutely clueless. The tory tried to convince that brexit would be done and dusted by the end of Jan. I got told off for laughing. The Labour candidate very candidly told me that there was a lot of resistance to Jezza especially by the old folks. The feeling was that change is needed because everything in the North West was just getting run down.

I was astonished that these idiots think that the tory government who hasn't given a toss about them for years will somehow be motivated to invest in the North when they've got the votes in the bag they need for their totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit.

It's almost as though they're not being completely honest about their reasons for voting for "Get Brexit Done" - I wonder what their real reason is....?

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Unfortunately in May's ridiculous "Strong and stable" election Corbyn gained 30 seats. Which meant Corbyn was guaranteed to lead Labour into the next election and May was unable to proceed with her exit deal. Not forgetting, of course, that totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Boris Johnson voted against May's deal twice even though it was better than his current effort. 

I spend part of the year in a North Manchester constituency which went from Red to Blue. The Brexit Party candidate was absolutely clueless. The tory tried to convince that brexit would be done and dusted by the end of Jan. I got told off for laughing. The Labour candidate very candidly told me that there was a lot of resistance to Jezza especially by the old folks. The feeling was that change is needed because everything in the North West was just getting run down.

I was astonished that these idiots think that the tory government who hasn't given a toss about them for years will somehow be motivated to invest in the North when they've got the votes in the bag they need for their totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit.

It's almost as though they're not being completely honest about their reasons for voting for "Get Brexit Done" - I wonder what their real reason is....?

Having refused to 'Invest in the North West' since I left there if 1973 - I am just about do so now. 

But hey, you are better than me at reading the runes. 

I'm going to invest in the North West of England - are you?

Answering a question with a question... Your repetition of that trope has become a cringe-inducing eye-roller. It was possibly almost remotely funny when you used it the first time but you're up to 43 instances and counting so far. Everyone knows how you feel about Boris, the underlying simmering disgust and indignation you've experienced by the Tory victory is plainly obvious but isn't it time you put it to bed now and moved on? 

Archived