Promenade Shelter Demolition

foxdaleliberationfront

It looks like the Corpy want permission to demolish one of the shelters on Douglas Promenade (something useful) with an expensive statue (something not useful).

https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=19/01166/B

It's not quite clear what the statue will be - perhaps it will be a larger than life statue of Sir David Christian MBE, OBE, MNH, DBC  to celebrate his seemingly endless reign over the island's capital. 

Or perhaps it will be a 12ft high sculpture of a steaming pile of horse turd to celebrate the unique feature of the promenade? 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

It looks like the Corpy want permission to demolish one of the shelters on Douglas Promenade (something useful) with an expensive statue (something not useful).

https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=19/01166/B

It's not quite clear what the statue will be - perhaps it will be a larger than life statue of Sir David Christian MBE, OBE, MNH, DBC  to celebrate his seemingly endless reign over the island's capital. 

Or perhaps it will be a 12ft high sculpture of a steaming pile of horse turd to celebrate the unique feature of the promenade? 

A statue will be useful if its raining. Let's hope the statue is holding an umbrella...

We now have a bit more information about this latest Corpy folly.  The statue(s) will be of the Bee Gees of whom certain people on the Island seem terribly proprietorial, even though they left when they they were under ten.  They always seem to have been very gracious in dealing with the rather creepy local claiming of them, but it's always struck me as a bit 'fanboy without being fans'.  In other words it's about local self-importance because of a celebrity link rather than appreciating them for what they did.  Typical small town politician behaviour.

So something useful and attractive (and I think the shelters are an integral part of the sunken gardens design) which the Gibbs may even have know when they were kids, will be demolished to make space for a statue group which I suspect will be as bad as most such modern representational statues are, especially given that it is the Corpy who are commissioning it.  It will be a target for vandalism and (given where it is) really difficult to keep clean and in decent nick.  It's the almost-perfect DBC project.

The plans are now available on the website linked above, by the way.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

We now have a bit more information about this latest Corpy folly.  The statue(s) will be of the Bee Gees of whom certain people on the Island seem terribly proprietorial, even though they left when they they were under ten.  They always seem to have been very gracious in dealing with the rather creepy local claiming of them, but it's always struck me as a bit 'fanboy without being fans'.  In other words it's about local self-importance because of a celebrity link rather than appreciating them for what they did.  Typical small town politician behaviour.

So something useful and attractive (and I think the shelters are an integral part of the sunken gardens design) which the Gibbs may even have know when they were kids, will be demolished to make space for a statue group which I suspect will be as bad as most such modern representational statues are, especially given that it is the Corpy who are commissioning it.  It will be a target for vandalism and (given where it is) really difficult to keep clean and in decent nick.  It's the almost-perfect DBC project.

I bet they've already got a candidate lined up. The pal of. The sister of. The brother of.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I bet they've already got a candidate lined up. The pal of. The sister of. The brother of.

Are there any statue artists currently sitting on DBC......?

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Most places do this, the Beatles left Liverpool the second they became famous and isn't there a statue of Freddie Mercury somewhere in England? - even though he wasn't born there and his parents weren't from there.

Archived