Promenade Shelter Demolition

foxdaleliberationfront

15 hours ago, woody2 said:

didn't one of them say they hated the place.......

I was told that at one stage they moved back to the Island and had houses in the Belmont hill area off Peel Road Douglas...I worked with someone who worked for a removals firm and helped to move them...They did not stay long apparently. Maybe it was a tax related residence...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I was told that at one stage they moved back to the Island and had houses in the Belmont hill area off Peel Road Douglas...I worked with someone who worked for a removals firm and helped to move them...They did not stay long apparently. Maybe it was a tax related residence...

It was just Robin who had a house here in recent years.

34 minutes ago, Lagman said:

It was just Robin who had a house here in recent years.

Bazza is correct. They came back late 60s early 70s for a few years when UK income tax was punitive. They were here a while and worked on some of the stuff for their mid 70s comeback. Manx Radio premiered Jive Talkin' when one of the brothers took an advance copy up to Douglas Head. As has been mentioned, Robin returned for a third spell later in life. 

34 minutes ago, woolley said:

Bazza is correct. They came back late 60s early 70s for a few years when UK income tax was punitive. They were here a while and worked on some of the stuff for their mid 70s comeback. Manx Radio premiered Jive Talkin' when one of the brothers took an advance copy up to Douglas Head. As has been mentioned, Robin returned for a third spell later in life. 

Fair enough, I think their little brother who wasn't born here lived here for a bit too maybe at that time.

3 hours ago, woolley said:

If so, why would they go to the trouble of rearranging and performing "Ellan Vannin"? To be fair, they did totally murder it, so perhaps you are right. 

I like their version of Elian Vannin, but it was embarrassing to hear it described as our National Anthem.

21 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Roughly 1.7685943 miles.

Just as an aside.

I wonder how the man doing the radio advert for Santander would pronounce that figure ?

In the MR advert, he says the interest rate is “ one point fifteen per cent”, instead of “ one point one five” . 

It is 1.15%.

That advert is for a bank ffs.

Archived