Promenade Shelter Demolition

foxdaleliberationfront

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Just as an aside.

I wonder how the man doing the radio advert for Santander would pronounce that figure ?

In the MR advert, he says the interest rate is “ one point fifteen per cent”, instead of “ one point one five” . 

It is 1.15%.

That advert is for a bank ffs.

Well after 2008 nothing surprises me about those buggers.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, woolley said:

I like Ellan Vannin. I think their version is a cacophony of noise.

I love the pipes in it and it seems slower, adding emotion. The beat is king.

Saw Clannad live two years ago and they had two sets of drums. Mad3 a massive difference to the sound.

I also love the version done by the Indian lady. Can’t find it atm but will dig it out of my hard drive later.

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I love the pipes in it and it seems slower, adding emotion. The beat is king.

Saw Clannad live two years ago and they had two sets of drums. Mad3 a massive difference to the sound.

I also love the version done by the Indian lady. Can’t find it atm but will dig it out of my hard drive later.

Found it. The lady lives here and calls it home. What an honour for us. Brought a tear to my eye playing this one more time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COyf3rZoAx0

It is 5 minutes out of your life. Listen to it. Does more in 5 mins than the tourist dept does in 5 years.

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, John Wright said:

Only half the story. That’s only the unveiling/dedication plaque.

This is the plaque on the plinth.

BDE0BB0D-0E2E-4F73-9285-84C397B1E21D.png

(Reviving this original thread to stop duplication on the two other threads where comments on the statue are getting mixed up with other current topics)

As that photo shows the inscription for the statue itself is already looking dirty and unreadable -and that's when it's being unveiled.  Mercifully so I suppose, given the cringe-y text, but the poor design and choice of materials[1] means that it will be completely ignored by everyone who looks at this.  The same sculptor's Beatles statue in Liverpool has no associated inscription at all.  Not even to Uncle Joe Anderson.

Amadeus's photos illustrate just how dirty and not thought-about the surroundings are.  Maybe the man with the mop and bucket refused to clean the area up because his was the only name left off the Council's plaque.

Someone (I can't find the comment now) made the wonderful suggestion that the statues should have been set on a flashing disco floor with "Staying Alive" blasting out from speakers, all activated whenever anyone walked nearby.  Highly impractical, especially when you consider the lack of technical expertise on display here, but a better tribute than what they actually produced.

[1]  This isn't my field of expertise, but even I am shocked by just how dreadful from both practical and artistic points of view the graphic design on all the new inscriptions and so on are that you see on the Prom and elsewhere.  They look like those making them just used the default settings on the software package and churned out whatever nonsense they were asked to set.  You genuinely would expect a schoolchild to produce something better - even if they used Comic Sans.

When you compare this stuff , not just to the design classics of Nicholson and Knox, but just the ordinary workaday stuff that was produced till recently, the drop in quality is appalling.  It's like everyone involved was saying "We're going to paid well anyway, no matter what shit we produce, so here's something done with the minimum of effort and thought".

Bee Gees were great and the tribute here is I think well deserved. It was a good initiative. Until the Council put their names on it.

Again, another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

As I said before, named and shamed. 

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

(Reviving this original thread to stop duplication on the two other threads where comments on the statue are getting mixed up with other current topics)

As that photo shows the inscription for the statue itself is already looking dirty and unreadable -and that's when it's being unveiled.  Mercifully so I suppose, given the cringe-y text, but the poor design and choice of materials[1] means that it will be completely ignored by everyone who looks at this.  The same sculptor's Beatles statue in Liverpool has no associated inscription at all.  Not even to Uncle Joe Anderson.

Amadeus's photos illustrate just how dirty and not thought-about the surroundings are.  Maybe the man with the mop and bucket refused to clean the area up because his was the only name left off the Council's plaque.

Someone (I can't find the comment now) made the wonderful suggestion that the statues should have been set on a flashing disco floor with "Staying Alive" blasting out from speakers, all activated whenever anyone walked nearby.  Highly impractical, especially when you consider the lack of technical expertise on display here, but a better tribute than what they actually produced.

[1]  This isn't my field of expertise, but even I am shocked by just how dreadful from both practical and artistic points of view the graphic design on all the new inscriptions and so on are that you see on the Prom and elsewhere.  They look like those making them just used the default settings on the software package and churned out whatever nonsense they were asked to set.  You genuinely would expect a schoolchild to produce something better - even if they used Comic Sans.

When you compare this stuff , not just to the design classics of Nicholson and Knox, but just the ordinary workaday stuff that was produced till recently, the drop in quality is appalling.  It's like everyone involved was saying "We're going to paid well anyway, no matter what shit we produce, so here's something done with the minimum of effort and thought".

The Beatles statue has no inscription to Joe A, because the Cavern Club paid for it, not the council.

Archived