Bags for life...

SJR

On 11/29/2019 at 11:30 AM, The Orgozoid said:

How is that a contradiction? Fabric or hemp based bags are longer term bio degradable and also last a long time. I always use that type of bag for shopping. 

Good point,  I was thinking solely about plastics - I use heavy duty bags sold in France, Spain and Portugal: these truly last a lifetime but I doubt are at all biodegradable.  I was comparing them with the flimsier bags seen in the UK which are indeed biodegradable (possibly - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/29/biodegradable-plastic-bags-survive-three-years-in-soil-and-sea) but only last a few months before needing replacement.  I’m really not sure which is better for the environment; something that endures or something that is less robust but needs regular replacement.  My point was that you can’t have both, although I confess I wasn’t considering other materials.

53 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I can't find bin bags small enough for a waste paper basket type thing

Shoprite used to sell them in rolls up to about a year ago. Seemed to take them off sale about the same time as they ceased the free shopping bags.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:03 AM, Roger Mexico said:

Well it doesn't say whose life.  In some case it's clearly a mayfly's.  But in the case of the 10p ones, it also refers to the fact that usually the shop says they  will replace it for free if it splits or breaks or wears out.  I've certainly done that with Shoprite and the Coop.  Usually when it's disintegrated at the counter, rather than when I remembered to bring a broken one in, admittedly.

My lawyer has been contacted..Hang on where is the bit that said it was me..My lawyer has been contacted again..

Edited by SJR

• 3 years later...

While it's true that the number of plastic bags sold has increased, it's important to remember that change takes time. We're all still adjusting to this new system. By the way, have you ever considered trying out Custom Grocery Bags? They're a great alternative to plastic and can make a real difference.

Edited by Robbustan