Liverpool FC..Has any team been so lucky ever.

SJR

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

So resilience and never say die mean nothing to you. Shankly's teams used to play to the 95th minute and won a lot of their games playing that way.

It means a lot to me, it's part of the clubs ethos. However, if you're constantly having to come from behind to win, occasionally you won't. But also you're playing at peak intensity for 90 minutes every week, so it's not surprising if you run out of steam at the end of the season. 

You're selectively remembering the highlights of many years mainly in two-legged cup games). Remember under Paisley when Lawrenson would pass to Hansen who'd pass to Neil and then back to Lawrenson for minutes on end because we were 2-0 up? That's how Phil Neal didn't miss a game between 1976 and 1983. It's a great fun for the fans to always come from behind but going behind and fighting back would be an insane game plan and is a symptom of us not being quite there yet as we transition towards are next great team. 

(As an aside Shankly's teams drew more league games than Klopp's do. Klopp's league win % is 62.5% and Shankly's 52.4%.   Before three points for a win teams settled for a draw because of the risk-reward ratio. (Incidentally in the Prem era Klopp is third manager for average points per game because he's had to chase the #1). )

Edited by Declan

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

And there we have it...  a return to normal service from a Liverpool fan.  Quoting history instead of paying attention to what is happening today.  

Arsenal finished above Liverpool last season and could end this season as League Champions.  Even if they finish second they will once again be above Liverpool in the table making them the better team currently.

You're getting as bad as Crazy Dave. Currently maybe but overall not

13 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

You're getting as bad as Crazy Dave. Currently maybe but overall not

Come on...  Nottingham Forrest have won more European Cup's than Arsenal.  Does that make them a better team than the current Arsenal side?

And interesting to see which trophies you included in your reference to Liverpool.  That would be a total of 67 trophies.  Guess which other team has 67 trophies including the ones you did?

4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Come on...  Nottingham Forrest have won more European Cup's than Arsenal.  Does that make them a better team than the current Arsenal side?

And interesting to see which trophies you included in your reference to Liverpool.  That would be a total of 67 trophies.  Guess which other team has 67 trophies including the ones you did?

:whistling:

16 hours ago, Passing Time said:

:whistling:

Well, you can keep living in the past if you want.  The reality is that Liverpool are currently the third best team in England and were knocked out of Europe by the team currently sat in sixth place in Serie A.  

Arsenal meanwhile are sat in first place and locked in a title battle with Manchester City.  That is the same Manchester City who you suggest Liverpool cannot compete with due to their state funding.  Arsenal, of course, are also not beneficiaries of state funding.  

I would suggest that you be pleased with 3rd place, qualifying for the Champions League and winning a trophy.  Just stop pretending that Liverpool are the best team in the country at present. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

I would suggest that you be pleased with 3rd place, qualifying for the Champions League and winning a trophy.  Just stop pretending that Liverpool are the best team in the country at present. 

I'm both pleased and disappointed.

These days sitting down watching the football is the same as watching a film, I want to be entertained and watching Liverpool for much of Klopps time has been fucking great. This season much of it was fucking great, we played some super stuff earlier in the year, as good as we ever have even, and it was joyous to see the huge improvement from last season. Shame they ran out of energy or form.

But even the crap results recently have been weird, most of the time we've battered teams and just not scored. Salah has probably had 50 shots since he came back from injury, normally 20 of them would go in. Everyone else has missed a hat full too, Harvey Elliott repeatedly hits the woodwork, Nunez is mad. We've had an inexcusable amount of missed chances, and that's on the players.

Klopp's been great but things have to end, time to look to the future. I know very little about the new guy, but the club aren't stupid, they've clearly given it some thought and not rushed, and most importantly not been swayed by big names and big reputations.

There's not a huge amount of work needed to the squad either. The big decisions are how to replace Salah and Van Dijk, but with so little else needed that's clearly going to be affordable and hopefully not for another year. Add another forward who can fucking shoot and start thinking long term about left back. That's about it. The new man is walking into a well run club with a well constructed squad. 

And then there's the kids. Bradley and Quansah have had superb breakthrough seasons, Bobby Clarke looks to have it all and there are plenty more with obvious promise. So that's all nice and positive too.

Liverpool are in a good place.

I did really want that Dublin European final though, I was sort of saving a bit of money in case the opportunity for a quick trip presented itself. Would have been an incredible ending to Klopp's time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

Wasn't it him who fantastically set up Fernandes to score in the FA Cup quarter final?

Oh no a kid made a mistake what a shocking state of affairs kill him

Fucks sake. You want to talk about Fernandes as a man? I remember a game we can talk about if you want, he was pretty prominent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh no a kid made a mistake what a shocking state of affairs kill him

Fucks sake. You want to talk about Fernandes as a man? I remember a game we can talk about if you want, he was pretty prominent.

Did you win another soft drink cup for that game?  

I fail to see why a Manchester United fan feels emboldened enough to hand out shit. Your club is mostly a mess. There is no plan. They've had another shit season, played absolute dross for much of it, and are almost certainly going to lose another FA Cup final to City and finish 6th. Shut the fuck up.

• Thanks 2