Liverpool FC..Has any team been so lucky ever.

SJR

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I fail to see why a Manchester United fan feels emboldened enough to hand out shit. Your club is mostly a mess. There is no plan. They've had another shit season, played absolute dross for much of it, and are almost certainly going to lose another FA Cup final to City and finish 6th. Shut the fuck up.

Did I hit a nerve? 

You are right, our season has been shocking and in all probability we will lose the FA Cup final to City.

Despite that we still knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup and drew with the both home and away in the league.

In two of those three games this season United even had a player sent off.

Even at our worst in years United can still upset Liverpool fans.

Even as a United fan, I have to agree with Teapot. L'pool are in much a better place than United (and MUCH better than what Sir Alex left United in 2013 - BeeJeezus, have we been mostly shite for 11 years already???). Do I laugh at their "demise" in the past few months? Of course I do, the whole world laughs at us near enough every week, it's part of football rivalry. But I do look at them with a bit of envy of where they are in general, and where Klopp is leaving them. As much as it pains me, and as much as I hope I'm wrong, I think they're set up to win the league title again before us.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 12:58 PM, Declan said:

No, I'm saying we don't know whether he will be a success. But a Dutch manager could be successful in England, to think otherwise is stereotypical thinking. Somebody has to be the first one - it might be him.

Or maybe we should just employ a Scotsman. Look at their success -  Busby, Shankly, Dalglish, Graham, Ferguson (and 7 others). Yet Moyes and Souness weren't successes inheriting Champion teams that then went into decline. 

Anyway - it's not for a United fan to define how I feel about my team. I'm positive it'll be fine. We'll play attacking football. Win more than we lose. Be in the upper echolons of the league, have a run in a cup or Europe. Of course, we dream of more, but fans of most clubs would be happy with a season like. 

Look at it this way Chelsea fans always sing about Gerard falling over. Like that was such a crushing season. BUT my memory of that season is positive. We were miles behind at Christmas, went on crazy run, scoring loads despite a very limited defence, and somehow almost fluked the title. So when they sing about Gerard falling over I think of a fun season where we finished above them. 

So the current situation is - 

• We're better than we were last season
  • We've seen young players get better this season
  • We've seen younger players step up and hint at good careers to come
  • We've won a cup and qualified for the Champions League
  • But we're not as good as City or Arsenal
  • Towards the end of the season our tactics have been found out and we're not creating enough good chances. It's a blip at an unfortunate moment. They'll find a solution. 
  • The club infrastructure is fine - new training ground, increased capacity at Anfield
  • Michael Edwards is back as Sporting Director - it's his recruitment that lead to Champions League and Premier Success and when he was away our recruitment became a weaker point (eg not refreshing the midfield earlier).
  • The owners and sporting directors have  a clear vision for the club. 
  • Everything that Jim Radcliffe has identified as needed at Utd is in place at Liverpool. It seems to me that United fans should be excited about the direction he's taking their club. So why shouldn't Liverpool fans be positive?

Obviously, I'd prefer that Klopp was staying and I don't know enough about Slot to be excited by his appointment. But there are enough positives and I've been supporting the team long enough not to be gloom and doom. 

All well and good but you’ll still be third in the league and won the karaoke cup.

6 hours ago, majkul said:

Even as a United fan, I have to agree with Teapot. L'pool are in much a better place than United (and MUCH better than what Sir Alex left United in 2013 - BeeJeezus, have we been mostly shite for 11 years already???). Do I laugh at their "demise" in the past few months? Of course I do, the whole world laughs at us near enough every week, it's part of football rivalry. But I do look at them with a bit of envy of where they are in general, and where Klopp is leaving them. As much as it pains me, and as much as I hope I'm wrong, I think they're set up to win the league title again before us.

You can't be a United fan if you envy Liverpool...  

They may be in a better place than United were when Ferguson left but only because the squad is younger.  They still need to replace Salah and Van Djik.

United's problem was that they really needed Mourinho or Van Gaal to follow Ferguson.  They were managers who would have commanded respect from an ageing team that had just won a league title.  They could have safely dismantled and rejuvenated the squad.

Moyes wasn't the right person to do that.  He didn't have the ability to attract new signings and he struggled to impose himself on a squad full of experienced winners.

Ferdinand said it recently that Moyes seemed to think that United was like Everton and not understand that the standards were higher.

Moyes isn't to blame for the decline but the club didn't get the right person at the right time.

Liverpool could find themselves in the same place with a relatively unproven manager.  Albeit the club is probably set up better to handle the transition than United were.

Another factor with Liverpool is that they really should have won more under Klopp than they did.  The fact they fell short amuses me especially when it was teams like Sevilla that were denying them trophies.

29 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Another factor with Liverpool is that they really should have won more under Klopp than they did.  The fact they fell short amuses me especially when it was teams like Sevilla that were denying them trophies.

We were denied two League titles by Man City by a single point and gained more points both season than United had. A team with the resources of a petro-state and the most successful manager of the current era, who would have won 6 or 7 titles in a row but for us

We also lost two Champions League Finals to Real Madrid the most successful team in that competition.

Yes we lost to Sevilla in the Europa League in Klopp's first full season, but they're the most successfull team in that competition, and in the League Cup by Man City (second most successful in that comp apart from us).

12 hours ago, Declan said:

We were denied two League titles by Man City by a single point and gained more points both season than United had. A team with the resources of a petro-state and the most successful manager of the current era, who would have won 6 or 7 titles in a row but for us

And if it wasn't for Blackburn and Arsenal then United would have won 12 league titles in a row...

These arguments are stupid though.  Blackburn and Arsenal won those titles.

Liverpool lost out to City etc but that's the way football works. 

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

And if it wasn't for Blackburn and Arsenal then United would have won 12 league titles in a row...

These arguments are stupid though.  Blackburn and Arsenal won those titles.

Liverpool lost out to City etc but that's the way football works. 

You're doing what you always. You said "they only lost to teams like Sevilla" when it was mostly City and Real. That's all I was saying.

You make a false statement, get shown it's wrong then respond as if I was reponding to completely different point. We can't have a serious discussion because you just view find one little bit in a post and go "yeah but", irrespective of the context in the thread or the post.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

You can't be a United fan if you envy Liverpool...  

Two season tickets (for all my sins). Also a football fan in general, so yeah, I can be envious of better teams, of which there are many at the moment, even though they're not a patch on the United teams of those halcyon days.

Edited by majkul

5 hours ago, Declan said:

You're doing what you always. You said "they only lost to teams like Sevilla" when it was mostly City and Real. That's all I was saying.

You make a false statement, get shown it's wrong then respond as if I was reponding to completely different point. We can't have a serious discussion because you just view find one little bit in a post and go "yeah but", irrespective of the context in the thread or the post.

The Sevilla reference was because that is a team most Liverpool fans think they should be able to beat without an issue.  I remember that final because I shared an office with a scouser who stuck up a poster before the game with something like "Liverpool on tour in Europe" and was going on and on about how they would win that final and bring in a new era of trophies...

The point about losing by a point to City is just nonsense.   That's why I referenced United losing the title to Blackburn.  I could also have referenced finishing second to City in the Premier League on the last day.

It doesn't matter what your points total was if you only finish second.  You were not as good or as consistent as the team that finished first.

You cannot just wish City away and say "look what we would have won".

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

You cannot just wish City away and say "look what we would have won".

I didn't do that.

Merely pointed out your claim "it's only teams like Sevilla" that stopped us winning titles was wrong.

You've a choice mate, we can discuss football like adults or you can engage in a point by point rebuttal of what you imagine I think or what you wish I'd written, but you don't really need me for that, so I'll leave you to it. 

Edited by Declan
  • Haha 1