Manx Tunnel

This little belter is front page headliner -  

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52991&headline=In this week's Examiner: Just how feasible is it to build a tunnel from England to Ireland via the Isle of Man?&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=202

I knew the news situation was bad after christmas, and the newspaper scrapes the bottom of the barrel, but by my reckoning, this must be an early April’s Fools joke?

Still an even bigger joke would be the Department of Infrastructure doing the work - rofl. A job like that would bankrupt the Treasury, and I don’t think a loan from Barclays Bank will do the trick.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 2112 said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52991&headline=In this week's Examiner: Just how feasible is it to build a tunnel from England to Ireland via the Isle of Man?&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=202

I knew the news situation was bad after christmas, and the newspaper scrapes the bottom of the barrel, but by my reckoning, this must be an early April’s Fools joke?

Still an even bigger joke would be the Department of Infrastructure doing the work - rofl. A job like that would bankrupt the Treasury, and I don’t think a loan from Barclays Bank will do the trick.

DoI manage to flood roads after they have completed the work, imagine the fun they would have with an undersea tunnel

There's been a lot of talk, particularly before the General Election of the possibility of constructing a bridge between Northern Ireland and Scotland. It's met with a lot of criticism not just because of the expense involved but the difficulties in building on top of the Beaufort Dyke and with it all the munitions packed shipwrecks that lie there.

Over the past couple of weeks, attitudes have changed from a bridge to the construction of a tunnel. But the Isle of Man isn't expected to be a part of that, if it ever got underground.

I'm concerned a tunnel may disrupt HM Sole's £1bn plans for the planetary E.G.G. ('Ecologial Geophysical Galleon')

Unfortunately the go-fund me page is now deactivated, so I couldn't check if he got the additional £999,999,900 he needed. I didn't see a planning application, so I assume he didn't.

Just think though, we could have 15 E.G.G.'s for the price of a tunnel.

Or with that sort of money, a mobile felt museum incorporated INTO the monorail. Would get my vote.

4 minutes ago, kevster said:

There would be a problem with trains going straight through from the island of Ireland to the UK as they operate on a larger gauge 

I'm sure we could put Ian Longworth on the job to come up with a solution....

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s silly season. They’re at it in Jersey and Guernsey as well.

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2019/07/17/jersey-guernsey-france-tunnel-proposed/

"an artificial island would also be built between Sark and Jersey which could house a combined Channel Island’s airport, hospital, prison and university."

That's a disaster movie in the making. 

33 minutes ago, kevster said:

There would be a problem with trains going straight through from the island of Ireland to the UK as they operate on a larger gauge 

Hey! We might have a use for that diesel locomotive? :P

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Put Ian Longworth in charge. Obvious choice.

Archived