Manx Multimedia Centre

Lonan3

From MR. com:

"The Manx Multimedia Centre in Peel will close its doors for the last time today (Friday).

The trainees have finished their training courses and the facility will close at the end of the day.

The building will be de-rigged and the equipment is being put up for tender.

Manager of MMC, Julie Lazlet didn’t want comment on why the centre’s closing but say it’s a DTI decision."

Like many others, I'm getting fed up with the knocking of all things local - and I'm just about ready for a resolution not to do so again - when something like this comes up to remind us just how pathetic and incompetent some departments are!

Well you see, that's because this is one part of the burgeoning film industry that Alex Downie isn't interested in because you only have to travel from Douglas to Peel for a visit and it's not nearly as glamorous as Cannes!!!!

That is a real shame. I have to admit that I have always been interested in the Manx Multimedia Centre but I have never paid the place a visit. I always thought that it was for students rather than the wider community.

I work in graphic / web design and I really do think that the resources could have been targeted at the art & business community as well as the film industry.

One project that I have worked with in Manchester is IDEA:

http://www.idea.org.uk/

They offer free training to the people of Greater Manchester and the surrounding areas they can do this because of European and Government funding.

The people who work there are artists, academics and designers and I have always found their approach very professional.

One of the tutors came over to the Island to teach me and my colleagues a few web design tricks.

I would really like to see something like IDEA over here and I would personally get involved.

The Island needs to sort the basics of the film industry out first. At present some of the local labour interested in this work are simply lazy dope-smoking dolites who want a bit of easy cash in hand 'work'. The Film Industry sees this as quaint maybe, but hardly professional.

The powers that be should forget their glamorous travels abroad and sort things out a little closer to home.

And isn't the benefit the Film Industry has to the Island rather nebulous?

Incidentally, I saw Alex D's picture only the once in this month's edition of Money Media.

Archived