Budget Bullshit Bingo (2020)

On The Bus

There are indications that life expectancy has peaked for now, and may be declining a bit. May be a demographic curiosity (just like the Queen sending very few 100th birthday cards out last year due to the low birth rate at the end of WW1) or a reflection on increasing rates of obesity that have come to the fore in recent decades. 

40 minutes ago, wrighty said:

There are indications that life expectancy has peaked for now, and may be declining a bit. 

A lot of research going into this currently...causes are likely socioeconomic inequality and economic hardship  - and more suicides and drug overdoses in working age people bringing down the average.

People often forget it is an average. Years ago average death was age 40...but it was an average...skewed by high infant mortality.

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A lot of research going into this currently...causes are likely socioeconomic inequality and economic hardship  - and more suicides and drug overdoses in working age people bringing down the average.

People often forget it is an average. Years ago average death was age 40...but it was an average...skewed by high infant mortality.

That is correct. In addition, we used to lose lots of young men due to war and industrial causes - both accidents and longer term health problems - which affected the average, perhaps explaining why women live longer than men. 

Anecdotally, over my 25 years in hospital medicine, we’re seeing far more patients in their late 80s and 90s than we used to, so from that I’d say average age at death given survival to retirement age (thereby taking out the perinatal and war effects on the average) has increased quite a lot. It seems to be stalling now though. 

• Like 1

Hmmm. Just reading the Budget breakdown in the Indy and there's comment by Michael Josem, chairman of Lib Vannin.

He's claiming that the Budget has incorporated a £48.5M raid on reserves - and that £33.6M of that has been taken from the PSP "reserve".

Also a £3.4M cut in DHSC funding despite a claim of an additional £14M invested. With £2M of that being due to the transfer of the PH directorate to the Cabinet Office.

Page 8 for those interested.

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Hmmm. Just reading the Budget breakdown in the Indy and there's comment by Michael Josem, chairman of Lib Vannin.

He's claiming that the Budget has incorporated a £48.5M raid on reserves - and that £33.6M of that has been taken from the PSP "reserve".

Also a £3.4M cut in DHSC funding despite a claim of an additional £14M invested. With £2M of that being due to the transfer of the PH directorate to the Cabinet Office.

A balanced Budget again then? :cool:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/21/2020 at 2:05 PM, Non-Believer said:

Almost.

19/20 involves a 33.7m transfer from Reserves, 20/21 is budgeted to utilise 48.5m of reserves. These include 33.5m in 19/20 and 36.3m in 20/21 re the PSEPR.

In both cases, there is a surplus after the transfer from Reserves. I am not sure this really means anything and prefer to note that expenditure exceeds income by 22.5m in 19/20 and 36m in 20/21. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 4:16 PM, quilp said:

Ok, I should've been more specific, I'm talking about those in receipt of a government pension. 

Don’t government workers pay 10% of their salary into their pension, if the give up 10% of their income for their future needs, how are they any different to other workplace pension, aside from the fact that their employer is the government! 

Its those that don’t save for their pension to top up their state pension who can become a drain on the pot and are 10% better off for 30 to 40 years.   I have a private pension and I pay for it. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, TheTeapot said:

Why isn't there an actual fund? Seen the state of the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund? They own half the world.

canada had a massive problem with pension funds going bust.......they changed the law so payments could only come out of yearly income plus a % set aside for investment.....

debt gone over night.......

iomg could do this tomorrow if they wanted......