Peel Marina

piebaps

Here's an interesting FOI. Peel marina brings in apparently £130k or so each year. However the dredging and silt removal will cost £6.2m

So that's 47 years just for the removal of the silt THIS time to recover the dredge costs. There is of course the indirect benefit to the exchequer of the economic activity however even then, surely this marina is a lame duck and any other proposals need to be examined very carefully.

FOI site is awkwatrd to search but the request is called 

Peel marina income verses cost

The outcome date is 24th February 2020.

https://services.gov.im/freedom-of-information/search

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Think of the benefit of all the Govt employees directly and indirectly employed though. All that DOI planning for dredging, future silt traps and maintenance.  And all the money that will be spread through the economy when JCK have done their 3000 wagon journeys. And then the wrecked roads that will have to be repaired.

One big financial merry-go-round. We don't need to know where the money's coming from.

When it comes to ego projects (and repairing the cock ups arising from them, to defend the egos) money doesn't matter.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I see the redoubtable Trevor Cowin has now resurrected an original idea, apparently suggested in the original marina planning but discounted at the time, to have the Neb river running down through/past the Marina in its own walled channel straight out to sea. Which is basically what used to happen before the marina, when it ran straight out to sea anyway.

This would alleviate the river-delivered silt from accumulating in the marina itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

So, dredging costs up already by £125,000, blameable on COVID naturally. Colas haven't yet submitted an application to dump the silt at Turkeyland and further month's dredging operations extension required which DEFA are now huffing and puffing about.

And there's now a proposal to canalise the Neb out through the Marina. Who'd have thought it? All iomtoady.

• Like 1

An Incredible, complete waste of money this dredging saga. Makes me quite upset. 

Could have been dredged and dumped at sea for a tenth of the cost, if DEFA had changed the criteria for what level of contaminates were acceptable to dump at sea rather than blindly follow UK guidelines.

DEFA could have reasonably and with justification based on the Island's geology changed the local rules, and saved the tax payer £6m.

The amounts of dredge 40k tonnes is so comparatively small, and  contaminates would have been so diluted and dispersed, the risk to humans from them entering the food chain and then causing harm must be vanishingly small.

Prepared to change my mind if someone can give me compelling reasons why it was completely necessary  and unavoidable to spend £7m...

Edited by b4mbi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

An Incredible, complete waste of money this dredging saga. Makes me quite upset. 

Could have been dredged and dumped at sea for a tenth of the cost, if DEFA had changed the criteria for what level of contaminates were acceptable to dump at sea rather than blindly follow UK guidelines.

DEFA could have reasonably and with justification based on the Island's geology changed the local rules, and saved the tax payer £6m.

The amounts of dredge 40k tonnes is so comparatively small, and  contaminates would have been so diluted and dispersed, the risk to humans from them entering the food chain and then causing harm must be vanishingly small.

Prepared to change my mind if someone can give me compelling reasons why it was completely necessary  and unavoidable to spend £7m...

But would that keep our local haulage company in the way which they have become accustomed .?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, dilligaf said:

But would that keep our local haulage company in the way which they have become accustomed .?

Maybe that's where all the silt originated from?! Didn't there used to be a massive pile of mine waste where there is now a massive  mansion house? :ph34r:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, b4mbi said:

without the marina all the contaminates would end up in the same sea getting dispersed anyway,  daft not allow dumping the silt 10 miles out to sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3