Peel Marina

piebaps

1 hour ago, Hillside said:

Was that why the flapgates were wide open yesterday lunchtime with water gushing out into the bay?

Possibly. When I came into the harbour last night there was a rainbowy slick on the water flowing out. 

Will be lovely for Peel's new dolphin residents.

Did you know 'Peel' is actually Afrikaans for penis? Seriously

On 7/30/2020 at 11:26 PM, b4mbi said:

Maybe that's where all the silt originated from?! Didn't there used to be a massive pile of mine waste where there is now a massive  mansion house? :ph34r:

Yes and no one ever asked what happened  to it, I’ve been going on about it for years. It actually really annoys me but what’s the point?

• Like 1

most of it is still there - used to watch the transformation when regularly used the No 4 bus - covered with new soil + landscaped. There was I think some runoff as at that time Eary dam turned brown as viewed from the bus and the ducks seemed much fewer in number but life returned after a year or so.

9 hours ago, Frances said:

most of it is still there - used to watch the transformation when regularly used the No 4 bus - covered with new soil + landscaped. There was I think some runoff as at that time Eary dam turned brown as viewed from the bus and the ducks seemed much fewer in number but life returned after a year or so.

I didn’t think the stream running past James’s ran into the Eairy. Doesn’t it join the river running to St Johns ?

I always thought it a strange place for any effluent to reach - it was just so noticeable an effect on the dam during the time that quite of lot of work was being done on the place - maybe there was work above the dam that would not be visible from the bus tho I often used to drive along the narrow road and didn't notice any major works.

• 3 weeks later...

I see from MR News that the DOI are now attempting to welch on their assurances that the first tranche of Peel Marina silt, that was disposed of in a "temporary" facility at Rockmount in 2015, would be removed and disposed of properly.

They are now citing removal costs of £450k so they want to leave it there, confident that "regular monitoring" will suffice to ensure that no harm comes to the surrounding environment. It would appear that there has yet been little progress on the proposed dumping site at Turkeyland Quarry with a planning application due to be lodged shortly.

52 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I see from MR News that the DOI are now attempting to welch on their assurances that the first tranche of Peel Marina silt, that was disposed of in a "temporary" facility at Rockmount in 2015, would be removed and disposed of properly.

They are now citing removal costs of £450k so they want to leave it there, confident that "regular monitoring" will suffice to ensure that no harm comes to the surrounding environment. It would appear that there has yet been little progress on the proposed dumping site at Turkeyland Quarry with a planning application due to be lodged shortly.

Don't see a problem with leaving the stuff there TBH

and that is the completely correct decision. Why do they even have to get planning? Just leave the stuff where it is.

Or are you content for them to completely waste a further half million of taxpayers money by simply moving it somewhere else and having exactly the same issue.

Ridiculous state of affairs that they even had to remove the silt to landfill in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

and that is the completely correct decision. Why do they even have to get planning? Just leave the stuff where it is.

Or are you content for them to completely waste a further half million of taxpayers money by simply moving it somewhere else and having exactly the same issue.

Ridiculous state of affairs that they even had to remove the silt to landfill in the first place.

It shows the level of intelligence in our leadership that left to it's own devices it has discharged to sea for the last couple of hundred years with no ill effect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It would appear that there has yet been little progress on the proposed dumping site at Turkeyland Quarry with a planning application due to be lodged shortly.

I took a walk out the back of the airport the other day, is Turkeylands the quarry right by the sea? Cos they're dumping incinerator ash in there at the moment.

Edit - this one https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0881844,-4.6091418,684m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by TheTeapot

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I took a walk out the back of the airport the other day, is Turkeylands the quarry right by the sea? Cos they're dumping incinerator ash in there at the moment.

Edit - this one https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0881844,-4.6091418,684m/data=!3m1!1e3

Wright's pit east is also discharging straight into the sea on every tide.