Peel Marina

piebaps

Thought so, I walk out that way reasonably often, there's a little spot over looking Santon Gorge that is absolutely the right place to smoke a massive joint and do fuck all for two hours. They had a lot of plant in there last year cleaning it out. The wall/cliff furthest from the sea is where they are putting the ash for now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, finlo said:

Wright's pit east is also discharging straight into the sea on every tide.

Yes.....25 years of the Islands undecomposed refuse now being exposed too. Potentially a bigger environmental disaster than the Raggatt.

Watched a programme on landfill a few weeks back. They excavated a former 80s landfill site outside Brum. Decomposed? Even newspapers were still readable, kids clothes just needed a good wash. That's all without the plastic. Utter nightmare.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

• 1 year later...

Couldn't the SP Co take it bit by bit to Heysham and dump it there? They wouldn't notice a bit more?

From MR am.

''Dr Kevin Kennington first made allegations that the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture had dumped toxic chemicals from Peel harbour into the sea in 2016.''

So a long term problem seeking a solution and perhaps, a need for Biodiversity publicity and all else it covers.?

My solution is similar, put a river by pass similar to Laxey harbour and let the water do the work. Oh wait a minute, will that cost enough?

Or of course , get rid of those stupid, costly, maintenance heavy flap gates. ( wonder why we have not seen the maintenance costs)?

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2020 at 11:24 PM, TheTeapot said:

Thought so, I walk out that way reasonably often, there's a little spot over looking Santon Gorge that is absolutely the right place to smoke a massive joint and do fuck all for two hours. They had a lot of plant in there last year cleaning it out. The wall/cliff furthest from the sea is where they are putting the ash for now.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0903098,-4.6033134,339m/data=!3m1!1e3

What seems to be maybe a celtic house?  Nice spot for some contemplation.... 

With the limestone, that quarry should be watertight.  Doubt anything would leak from there into the sea.  Possibly a sensible spot for dumping toxic(ish) waste. 

11 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

My solution is similar, put a river by pass similar to Laxey harbour and let the water do the work. Oh wait a minute, will that cost enough?

Or of course , get rid of those stupid, costly, maintenance heavy flap gates. ( wonder why we have not seen the maintenance costs)?

I wonder if the mouth of the harbour would be wide enough to get a proper flow from the tide now? I'm sure it was narrowed quite a bit when  they installed the footbridge. 

13 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0903098,-4.6033134,339m/data=!3m1!1e3

What seems to be maybe a celtic house?  Nice spot for some contemplation.... 

With the limestone, that quarry should be watertight.  Doubt anything would leak from there into the sea.  Possibly a sensible spot for dumping toxic(ish) waste. 

Cass ny Hawin I think:

A site used over a number of ages including the Mesolithic (approx. 8000-4000BC), Iron Age (approx. 500BC-500AD) and Viking (approx.800-1100AD) periods. The site shows evidence of both domestic and defensive occupation and overlooks an inlet, perhaps providing a deterrent against invaders or raiders. The Viking promontory fort is now eroded to much less than its original size but may once have contained a roundhouse and defensive palisade walls. 200m south of the fort, similar erosion has revealed Mesolithic stone tools, a hearth and artefacts suggesting it was used as a temporary camp for hunter-gatherers around 5700BC. Many of the finds from the site can be seen in the Manx Museum.

I'm not a geologist, but I thought limestone was far from 'watertight'.

10 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Oh yes, forgot that. Never mind it's a good reason to spend more millions. lol. Maybe drill a small tunnel through to Fenella?

Back in the day there wouldn't have been a Fenella Beach.  The road/causeway has caused the build-up there.  Historically at hightide Peel Castle would have been completely cut-off.   You would have had flow from the river going both North and South. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Cass ny Hawin I think:

I'm not a geologist, but I thought limestone was far from 'watertight'.

Thanks on the on the old ruin ID. 

Limestone - well it is porous.  But not hugely so (unless there are tunnels/fissures).  Certainly more watertight than a sandy hole in the north of the island that is leaking every hightide.

Edited by The Phantom