More tourists needed

b4mbi

340,000 p.a. ?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visit-isle-of-man-announces-three-year-plan/

Given we currently get 40,000 for TT, 15,000 from cruise, and say 10,000 for fom, this just seems like a wildly over optimistic target to me.

Can't see our current levels of tourism being much over 100,000 total per annum, but I've not researched..

Another job justification scheme from dfe me thinks...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

340,000 p.a. ?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visit-isle-of-man-announces-three-year-plan/

Given we currently get 40,000 for TT, 15,000 from cruise, and say 10,000 for fom, this just seems like a wildly over optimistic target to me.

Can't see our current levels of tourism being much over 100,000 total per annum, but I've not researched..

Another job justification scheme from dfe me thinks...

so these clever boys and girls are going to triple the tourists visiting the Island then. Outstanding...

The key is tourist days - is the 340k the tourist-day figure - cruise passengers staying at best one day would appear to deposit little money on Island even given the reputed eye-watering costs of their excursions (probably most of which goes to the shipping company) and any expensive harbour provision especially for them seems little more than an ego trip for certain MHKs.

TT fans many of whom camp at least generally stay a week and apart from camper vans do at least buy provisions locally and home-stay deposits some money fairly widely.

In the 30s the Island was pushing itself in the upmarket golfing holidays but such courses as exist now could not compete. 300 walkers, each staying a week with say a 30 week season would give over 50,000 tourist days, other outdoor pursuits could provide maybe another 40,000 - such a market should be grown as unlike the TT it imposes few costs on residents or the environment. The short season high number TT model was predicated on an existing transport mechanism catering for a mass tourist market - unless Brexit + CO2 reductions make non-UK holidays extremely expensive such mass tourism will never return.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

Not a chance sadly. This announcement goes in the same bin as the big increase that was to happen justifying the airport runway extension. Only way your going  to increase visitor numbers in any quantity is subsidies on travel costs .. That I've always thought is a win win but the powers that be clearly don't. Also something not mentioned is where they are going to stay ! We have enough buses that's for sure !!!! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

It looks to me like they have reverse-engineered the numbers.

The Tynwald Brains Trust has a get together in a very very small room and admits to itself that the CS/PS pension requirement could end up dragging their substantial taxpayer-funded nest eggs down with it. And they can't have that!

So they work out the £shortfall. They then take their fantasy strictly for public consumption only £number of how much each tourist profits the island by per week. So it's just divide the pension £shortfall by the fantasy £profit per visitor and the answer is 340,000.

It's easy when you know how....

• Like 1