More tourists needed

b4mbi

17 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Looking at the way we are paying people to move here through a similar lack of reasons to move here being present I wouldn’t be surprised to see a campaign where we ultimately offer tourists fifty quid each to come here. It seems to be that paying people is the only way we can generate any traction. 

There's nothung wrong with that. I'd rather see a few million spaffed on fare reduction than some of the other stuff they blow money on.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

These people are just grasping at straws. Though getting paid a lot of money to do it.

I was reading the article in the Courier last night about the "group-types" they intend to target. Full of meaningless waffle, buzzwords and straplines. The "empty-nesters" for instance.

There seems to be little motivation to identify and deal with the facts that would deter mass tourism. Costs. Accommodation and service standards. Questionable climate. Attractions and activities when here. We have what we have. But is it enough in a competitive world?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

These people are just grasping at straws. Though getting paid a lot of money to do it.

I was reading the article in the Courier last night about the "group-types" they intend to target. Full of meaningless waffle, buzzwords and straplines. The "empty-nesters" for instance.

There seems to be little motivation to identify and deal with the facts that would deter mass tourism. Costs. Accommodation and service standards. Questionable climate. Attractions and activities when here. We have what we have. But is it enough in a competitive world?

They just seem to stagger from one press release to another.  As I pointed out earlier, there's absolutely nothing in the 'plan' to say how they intend to achieve these aims, just a vague hope that it will magically happen without any effort other than waffling to each other. 

It's not even internally consistent.  For example they are aiming at 340,000 'visitors' for 2023, which given that their (ahem) generous definition of visitor means that there were 308,000 in 2018 (again see my previous comment) is an increase of 32,000 over 5 years.  But then they expect it to jump to 500,000 in 2030 - an increase of 160,000 in the following 7 years.  

There seems to be no real analysis as to where the opportunities are - even though they must have the figures.  Is 'visitor occupancy running "close to capacity" during the main season', I doubt it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They just seem to stagger from one press release to another.  As I pointed out earlier, there's absolutely nothing in the 'plan' to say how they intend to achieve these aims, just a vague hope that it will magically happen without any effort other than waffling to each other. 

It's not even internally consistent.  For example they are aiming at 340,000 'visitors' for 2023, which given that their (ahem) generous definition of visitor means that there were 308,000 in 2018 (again see my previous comment) is an increase of 32,000 over 5 years.  But then they expect it to jump to 500,000 in 2030 - an increase of 160,000 in the following 7 years.  

There seems to be no real analysis as to where the opportunities are - even though they must have the figures.  Is 'visitor occupancy running "close to capacity" during the main season', I doubt it.

they did much the same thing in a report around 2012.......

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sir nige said:

they did much the same thing in a report around 2012.......

These targets have all been set before & never, ever achieved

They only get away with it because most off the Keys are in government so there's never any criticism or opposition comment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We should not decry any effort to increase tourism or any other fillip to our economy,,,,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,, with the cynicism that surrounds any ' figures ' from our Govt, there should be a future point where, an MHK, asks for the analysis of the efficacy of the results.

Of course, this could be 5 years from now and who will be there to ask such searching questions???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

BBC Isle of Man are reporting that DfE plan to extend the tourism season by attracting motorsport groups as a key part of plans to grow visitor numbers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-51652084

It's not quite green, sustainable tourism is it?

They killed off the rally FFS and several other events. They are effing insane . Who comes up with this shite?

• Like 1