More tourists needed

b4mbi

On 4/3/2020 at 8:48 PM, finlo said:

Is that not for the Stenna ferries to Belfast which ceased operations in 2010?

In fact was there ever vehicular traffic to IOM from Fleetwood?

Yes, on the sideloaders. Cars weren’t carried before 1961, when the service was first abandoned. Stella Marina which ran the service in 1968 was a rear loader, but there wasn’t a link span then. When the service was restored in approx 1971 they’d built a landing jetty that could load cars. Service withdrawn around mid 1990’s.

Service was seasonal and tide dependent. So it wasn’t regular days/times.

Stena carried freight only and put in the link span and marshalling yard. Problem is that the Wyre is silted up. 

10 hours ago, hissingsid said:

With the reputation some hotels are getting lately the tourist trade will suffer no doubt but I am sure Skelly will look after the hoteliers even if no one else gets a look in.

that's about the size of it so far,  

On 4/3/2020 at 8:48 PM, finlo said:

Is that not for the Stenna ferries to Belfast which ceased operations in 2010?

In fact was there ever vehicular traffic to IOM from Fleetwood?

There may have been some vehicular traffic at some point ....The Isle of Man ferry left from there when they operated a few spasmodic trips throughout the season...you could go on a trip on 'The Fun boat' ..i was referring to queues of foot passengers...the last regular ferry left from Fleetwood around 1961 i believe but i was then only 7 ...i made my first trip to the Island when 8 years old via Blackpool Airport travelling with 'Silver City Airways' and have been returning regularly since then. The only ferry operating from Fleetwood is the Knott End Ferry,that also being closed at the moment due to the Coronavirus. Recently a few years ago they hoped sailings to the Isle of Man might return,but seems the estuary is too silted up now,and would be too expensive a job,although there are still plans to reopen the Railway line from Poulton to Fleetwood,meaning there would once again be a direct rail link to the South of England from Fleetwood...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJKeithG said:

There may have been some vehicular traffic at some point ....The Isle of Man ferry left from there when they operated a few spasmodic trips throughout the season...you could go on a trip on 'The Fun boat' ..i was referring to queues of foot passengers...the last regular ferry left from Fleetwood around 1961 i believe but i was then only 7 ...i made my first trip to the Island when 8 years old via Blackpool Airport travelling with 'Silver City Airways' and have been returning regularly since then. The only ferry operating from Fleetwood is the Knott End Ferry,that also being closed at the moment due to the Coronavirus. Recently a few years ago they hoped sailings to the Isle of Man might return,but seems the estuary is too silted up now,and would be too expensive a job,although there are still plans to reopen the Railway line from Poulton to Fleetwood,meaning there would once again be a direct rail link to the South of England from Fleetwood...

My very first trip to the Island was c.1991 from Fleetwood. Out on the Lady of Mann and back on the King Orry in a day. We had to walk off the vehicle ramp on arrival at Fleetwood.

The Poulton- Fleetwood one desperately needs reopening to take some of the weight off the roads round there. It will make a huge difference to the likes of Thornton for commuting to Preston.

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Just discussing with my wife whether it is actually possible to leave the island at the moment.

Anyone got the answer?

It is my understanding that you can leave but you (currently) would not be allowed to return (unless you have express permission from the Government). The more practical issue is actually finding a way off the Island, I assume you'd have to use a private plane or boat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojomonkey said:

It is my understanding that you can leave but you (currently) would not be allowed to return (unless you have express permission from the Government). The more practical issue is actually finding a way off the Island, I assume you'd have to use a private plane or boat.

There are flights to Heathrow, Liverpool and Manchester

4 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

There are flights to Heathrow, Liverpool and Manchester

Are you allowed on them without permission? I thought they were covering patient transfers and I can't find any flight availability for those routes.

Edited by mojomonkey