More tourists needed

b4mbi

Personally I think Mr Newbie is correct-  there are far too may old hotels & guest houses operating in Douglas, & planning ought to be freed up to allow them to redesignate as private accommodation lettable on AirBnB etc

Almost the whole broad swathe of Douglas prom area could provide an enormous amount of new or deep retrofitted accommodation

There would be no need to build on green field sites at all

I'd urge the retention of the old facades tho' - developments like the Villiers site have added little to the attractions of the capital

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Rushen Heritage Trust have their own consultation going on this.  Mind you he's wrong.  That's not a posh sewerage plant, this is a posh sewerage plant:

8258036787_adfbedd4cb_k.jpg

Don't give the MUA any more ideas....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/24/2020 at 11:26 AM, Donald Trumps said:

Personally I think Mr Newbie is correct-  there are far too may old hotels & guest houses operating in Douglas, & planning ought to be freed up to allow them to redesignate as private accommodation lettable on AirBnB etc

I agree (with you agreeing with me!). It’s such a small segment of our economy they should just give them grants to turn their crap hotels into something else. It would probably do wonders for the building trade as well. There is no point in some old dump up one of the drives thinking they have a future in the “new normal”. The locals will start using any quality accomodation for staycations. Those businesses will do fine. Campsites will do fine too. But I was looking at the staycation ads for the Welbeck on social media the other night. Who local is going to stay there for £80 a night as a staycation when the bedroom in their own house is probably nicer? And that’s one of the nicer ones that’s had money pumped into it over the years. Some of them are complete dumps. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

I don't know the Welbeck as a building but I do know Michael does a good job & works hard for the industry - whether he'd choose to refocus the property given the opportunity I do not know

There are certainly too many hotels & guest houses in the town when global demand appears to be moving toward smaller private accommodation

I think a three course dinner was included in this deal and breakfast.    The food at the Welbeck is excellent so taking the price of a restaurant meal and a full breakfast out of the quoted price tells a different story, of course it would not sound as good :spam: .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2020 at 1:49 PM, Donald Trumps said:

I don't know the Welbeck as a building but I do know Michael does a good job & works hard for the industry - whether he'd choose to refocus the property given the opportunity I do not know

I just used it as an example and I said it is certainly one on the better ones and undeniably they work hard. But it’s a fairly limited staycation market I’d say as most people will want experienced based staycations (Spa, Pool, Hottub etc). We agree that a lot of hotels would be better being given money to redevelop. They won’t survive anyway. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

What could Dlas hotels be redeveloped as? Flats? Could fill a cheap accommodation need if we had a rent control policy and an easily accessible Rent Tribunal.

If we did have rent control, how many would convert???

There are far more smart little places for 'staycations' over here than I thought. Those dome cottages in East Baldwin look really cool and you can stay at the lodge of that weird castle manor house thing in Sandygate.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Thought I would post this up here as it seems we can't help but piss off our visitors before they've even arrived.

679821009_clipping0(2).thumb.jpg.1edf2805850fb0e91e12a04895ee6f8c.jpg

People like this make me puke. It's nothing to do with him what we build in Port Erin.  I went to East Sussex once. The nearest cafe had UKIP banners and an aggressive matriarchal proprietor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1