Isle of Pride

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

You can also lay the blame firmly at the feet of government. It is too easy to claim benefits these days. Yes there are familiies in genuine need but there a large number of people rinsing the system

As every Daily Mail / Express / Sun / Telegraph reader knows those on benefits are lazy, workshy, scroungers who are claiming due to deliberate lifestyle choices like being born into poverty....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

HiVibes view is just plain spiteful. This generation don’t want to work for anything. They just want it on a plate. Why can’t I have the free houses by grandparents bought? Only it wasn’t free they were earning a few quid a week and the £5000 they borrowed was a huge sum. Most people want to work hard to better the pathway their parents took. Not to sit there with their hand out claiming they’ve been ripped off and where my free stuff. 

I don't know anyone who wants everything for nothing.

I do know people who want to be fairly compensated for the work they produce, but they're not. I know people who would like to receive decent public services for the taxes they pay, but they're not. I know people who'd like to be able to own their house on two professional incomes, but they can't. I know people who would like to be able to have one parent stay at home with the kids, like many of their own parents and grandparents did, but they can't afford to keep the lights on if they do. And these situations are deteriorating, not improving. The cost of living is nuts and getting worse. House prices are nuts and getting worse. Pay is now getting worse in real terms due to inflation.

Perhaps some of the ire towards boomers is that many of them, when these points are raised, won't offer suggestions or vote for candidates who want to do something about it, they'll instead just shout "You're all snowflakes, I had to walk to school and back and it was uphill both ways and there was frost on the inside of the windows."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't know anyone who wants everything for nothing.

I do know people who want to be fairly compensated for the work they produce, but they're not. I know people who would like to receive decent public services for the taxes they pay, but they're not. I know people who'd like to be able to own their house on two professional incomes, but they can't. I know people who would like to be able to have one parent stay at home with the kids, like many of their own parents and grandparents did, but they can't afford to keep the lights on if they do. And these situations are deteriorating, not improving. The cost of living is nuts and getting worse. House prices are nuts and getting worse. Pay is now getting worse in real terms due to inflation.

Perhaps some of the ire towards boomers is that many of them, when these points are raised, won't offer suggestions or vote for candidates who want to do something about it, they'll instead just shout "You're all snowflakes, I had to walk to school and back and it was uphill both ways and there was frost on the inside of the windows."

And of course they did 'real work' lol

39 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As every Daily Mail / Express / Sun / Telegraph reader knows those on benefits are lazy, workshy, scroungers who are claiming due to deliberate lifestyle choices like being born into poverty....

Pretty much like Guardian readers like to twist things to suit themselves

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Pretty much like Guardian readers like to twist things to suit themselves

I don't have to twist things.

I simply post up the relevant story from the paper. Then those who feel it's "twisted" or whatever can then produce evidence of their own to the contrary.

I'm sure you can find lots of pieces in the Daily Mail / Express / Sun / Telegraph that supports your views on benefit scroungers etc.

I'm not going to bother because I know it's mostly rabble-rousing right wing bollox....

• Like 1