Isle of Pride

29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Or at least ask him to point to the bit of the bible that says "thou shalt fuck up other people's lives in my name". 

Or stick your dick in someone else's wife.

(or you may get a shotgun peppered backside)

52 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yesterday's festival was a triumph. The organisation was superb, the festival attendees had loads of fun.  Good food, good bands, good craic and no trouble.  Hats off to everyone who took part in one way or another.

It might not have been in your front room this time John, but your legacy will carry on.

What did you think about the woefully inadequate bar facility? The organisers had clearly seen the year on year inadequate bar facilities at the food and drink festival (every time) and decided that it would be a good idea to copy their approach and make people queue for 30mins.  

We queued for a while but gave up and went to the quayside for a drink. Bit of a shame as it was a great vibe and in every other way it was a great event.

45 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Thought he had moved back to the UK. If its the one I am thinking of, he occasionally gets wheeled out to comment on some religious matter or other.

If he is still alive, a personal apology from him would be too much I suppose.  Or at least ask him to point to the bit of the bible that says "thou shalt fuck up other people's lives in my name". 

What a friend we have in Jesus :ermm:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What did you think about the woefully inadequate bar facility? The organisers had clearly seen the year on year inadequate bar facilities at the food and drink festival (every time) and decided that it would be a good idea to copy their approach and make people queue for 30mins.  

We queued for a while but gave up and went to the quayside for a drink. Bit of a shame as it was a great vibe and in every other way it was a great event.

The bar was poor earlier in the day, but by teatime they had enough staff on that there was a 2 minute wait, if that. 

More of a concern was the use of single use plastic glasses. A shame that a progressive festival like Pride didn't have reusable glasses. Bushys. Poor show.

A brilliant day out though, great acts, well attended, happy and glorious weather!

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Name is irrelevant. It was institutional. Apology now needs to come from the institution through its current leader. 

He’s an old man. He’s had his own tragedies.

I always quite liked him as a person, I met him quite often and found him quite affable and sympathetic. 

@Mysteron

I've thought of another example of the then attitude of the police, and, in this case, children’s services.

Police became aware of a group of men who were hanging around the Lord Street bus station loos and picking up young boys, taking them to nearby homes. Sexual favours remunerated by gifts ensued. Bear in mind there was no age of consent in those days. Man on man sexual contact was illegal.

One fine day the Islands finest pitch up at the school of one of the boys. Full jam butty and uniforms. Lifted 15 year old from class in front of other students, staff. 

Took him to Police HQ. Provided a social worker as an appropriate adult. Social worker persuaded the lad to tell all. He’d feel better to get it off his chest, allegedly.

Before days of duty advocate. He sang.

Several, much older, men arrested, charged, went to prison.

Not so good for the boy either, tho. He’d disclosed he had participated in sexual activity. It wasn’t dealt with as a safeguarding matter, or abuse. No, he got charged, went to court, was convicted, sentenced.

Still has to be declared for certain job applications. Not one of the offences for which he could apply for a Turing pardon. Its still, technically, illegal, as he was under 16 and the age of consent is now 16. But that’s a prosecution that was hurtful, damaging, unnecessary. 

A life that continues to be blighted.

Deserves a full on apology and removal of the conviction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Raffles said:

The bar was poor earlier in the day, but by teatime they had enough staff on that there was a 2 minute wait, if that. 

More of a concern was the use of single use plastic glasses. A shame that a progressive festival like Pride didn't have reusable glasses. Bushys. Poor show.

A brilliant day out though, great acts, well attended, happy and glorious weather!

It was 4.15 when we went down and there were 4 queues reaching right outside the tent. We stood in one for a while and then I said, forget this we are going. Maybe we should have persevered.

Never mind. It seemed fun. 

I don't get the plastic glasses thing either. They seem to be more popular than ever. Why doesn't someone come up with unbreakable and reusable glasses

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

It was 4.15 when we went down and there were 4 queues reaching right outside the tent. We stood in one for a while and then I said, forget this we are going. Maybe we should have persevered.

I don't get the plastic glasses thing either. They seem to be more popular than ever. Why doesn't someone come up with unbreakable and reusable glasses

I thought the various commercial stalls were franchised out. Supplies and glasses weren’t the responsibility of Pride organisers, surely?

50 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They have them.  They're called glasses.

• Haha 1