Isle of Pride

13 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

They have them.  They're called glasses.

Can you imagine the carnage....kids running round with lacerations from head to toe. Younger kids eating glass like sweets. Older folks with their sandals ingrained with deathly shards. Hospital overrun. Doesn't bare thinking about does it😇

Didn't know of that one NB. Was it reported at the time ? What action was taken ? There are plenty of dickheads in the anti-T.T. crowd. Should've had jail time for that.

ETA I heard that there were some bags stolen at the Villa Marina yesterday. Anyone know anything ?

Edited by Shake me up Judy

17 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Didn't know of that one NB. Was it reported at the time ? What action was taken ? There are plenty of dickheads in the anti-T.T. crowd. Should've had jail time for that.

ETA I heard that there were some bags stolen at the Villa Marina yesterday. Anyone know anything ?

Marshals collecting the unbroken glasses up and sweeping the broken ones up. Warning over the radio commentary/tannoy. Don't know if there were any proceedings ever taken but I'm pretty sure that incident instigated the plastic glasses rule, at the Swan anyway.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Licensing and police won’t give permission for outdoor use, special permission.

At many festivals I’ve been to they have harder plastic glasses. You pay £1 deposit for the first one, then swap it for a clean one when you buy your next one. You can redeem the £1 before leaving but because they’re branded you might take them home as a cheap souvenir. By adding a monetary value they’re not seen as disposable. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

At many festivals I’ve been to they have harder plastic glasses. You pay £1 deposit for the first one, then swap it for a clean one when you buy your next one. You can redeem the £1 before leaving but because they’re branded you might take them home as a cheap souvenir. By adding a monetary value they’re not seen as disposable. 

Yes. The hard polycarbonate washable/reusable ones have been around years. They cost about £30, or less, per pack of 100 in bulk. Allegedly unbreakable. 

We had them in the SU bar way back in 1975. Think they were called skifs? It’s then the issue of washing on site and storage between events.

News article on 3fm today apparently some festival goers had their handbags or possessions taken by thieves. Somebody told me that there was a problem outside the Villa Marina with people being verbally abused (though if this is wrong I apologise in advance). It is ironic as the Villa Gardens had many police officers milling around (however I don’t know what time they disappeared).

Load of purses were snatched in 1886 the week before as well. Were I a betting man I'd suspect that the lockdown squeezing people financially is probably the culprit. Well, no, the piss-poor Government support for those squeezed is, but you get my drift.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Load of purses were snatched in 1886 the week before as well. Were I a betting man I'd suspect that the lockdown squeezing people financially is probably the culprit. Well, no, the piss-poor Government support for those squeezed is, but you get my drift.

No, the culprits are criminals who believe they deserve other people's stuff. Most poor people don't go on the rob.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

You are coming out with some real shite. 

This is criminality pure and simple, probably a local villain. Yes people are squeezed financially but I don’t think they are the ones running around stealing purses and handbags. Let’s be brutal there are those who steal from Dealz, and those people more often than not have ‘issues’, and are on benefits anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

Stealing isn't happening at 1886 or Pride because of lockdown.  It's a small number of criminals.  There's no acceptable reason for it.

• Like 3