Isle of Pride

13 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Isn't this a case of the police being asked to apologise for upholding the law (as it was then)?

If there should be apologies, they should be from those who made the laws and kept them in place.

1. The police have a discretion which laws to enforce. They chose to enforce minor laws, causing no offence or damage, in operations that cost manpower and resources that could have been better used elsewhere. Driven, no doubt by a bible bashing, fundamentalist, CC.

2. The police choose how to enforce, and in this case used highly questionable tactics and procedures.

3. There has been a Tynwald apology.

4. The police have been willing to apologise for 5+ years but some in the LGBTQ + community have been reluctant to meet to hammer out acceptable wording.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

1. The police have a discretion which laws to enforce. They chose to enforce minor laws, causing no offence or damage, in operations that cost manpower and resources that could have been better used elsewhere. Driven, no doubt by a bible bashing, fundamentalist, CC.

2. The police choose how to enforce, and in this case used highly questionable tactics and procedures.

3. There has been a Tynwald apology.

4. The police have been willing to apologise for 5+ years but some in the LGBTQ + community have been reluctant to meet to hammer out acceptable wording.

Why wait for LGBTQ etc to agree an acceptable wording? A simple unequivocal apology should be enough surely?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Isn't that equivalent to being a racist comment?

No. They aren’t protected characteristics. They are factual. He was and is entitled to believe what he wants. That is protected. What he wasn’t entitled to do was let his beliefs interfere with operational policing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

We’ll then I’m afraid I don’t either. If theLGBT community are not able for whatever reason to accept an apology for these horrific actions, why can’t the police issue one unilaterally?

It’s quite simple. It’s not even diversity/inclusion specific. It’s general HR, complaints handling. Any agreed outcome is better than imposing, getting it wrong and it dragging on. It’s to do with managing expectations, on both sides.

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s quite simple. It’s not even diversity/inclusion specific. It’s general HR, complaints handling. Any agreed outcome is better than imposing, getting it wrong and it dragging on. It’s to do with managing expectations, on both sides.

Still don’t get it. If I wrong someone I apologise.I don’t consult with them about the form of words I should use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

So, who is dragging their heels in agreeing a form of words?  Alan Shea and Peter Tatchell both think an apology is appropriate.  They probably don't represent the entire LGBTQ community, but could they be said to represent the gay community at the time and if they are happy with a particular form of apology, why should individuals who were not directly affected at the time be the ones blocking the apology?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, who is dragging their heels in agreeing a form of words?  Alan Shea and Peter Tatchell both think an apology is appropriate.  They probably don't represent the entire LGBTQ community, but could they be said to represent the gay community at the time and if they are happy with a particular form of apology, why should individuals who were not directly affected at the time be the ones blocking the apology?

I don't know what Mr. Wright is talking about, and neither does he. He didn't attend Saturday's celebration, but he was praised for his contribution, help on legal matters, in 1991. He's had a couple of garden parties years ago for gay people that he knew, and that's all she wrote! He is not relevant in the gay community on the Island and his opinion is not sought after, although, of course, he can say what he wants, nobody cares.

26 minutes ago, Mrs. Woman said:

I don't know what Mr. Wright is talking about, and neither does he. He didn't attend Saturday's celebration, but he was praised for his contribution, help on legal matters, in 1991. He's had a couple of garden parties years ago for gay people that he knew, and that's all she wrote! He is not relevant in the gay community on the Island and his opinion is not sought after, although, of course, he can say what he wants, nobody cares.

Crikey!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrs. Woman said:

What a bizarre post.

• Like 1