Isle of Pride

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It was far too long, it was I’ll thought out, some bits were downright wrong, and it comes over as self justificatory. Frankly it sounds insincere.

Far better to have said, “following the change in the law and in the light of current enlightened social attitudes I wish, on behalf of myself, my officers, to apologise for unacceptable investigation and enforcement actions, undertaken historically by the Isle of Man police service,  against the LGBTQIA+ population of the Island”.

Its not acceptable to me.

I have nothing to do with Isle of Pride. I stepped down from the Inclusion group 5 years ago. I’m surprised they think it’s acceptable.

Its weasel words. I really thought better of CC Roberts.

It looks like he agonised over the wording and recognised that it may not satisfy everyone?

I think it's only those who were around at the time who really know and understand how over zealously officers went about their work. I'm sure to them it was a good laugh, and for the twisted cops, a chance to show how tough they were in destroying the lives of those they went after. 

Having said that, some of the things people were prosecuted for are still illegal today, for good reason.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It looks like he agonised over the wording and recognised that it may not satisfy everyone?

I think it's only those who were around at the time who really know and understand how over zealously officers went about their work. I'm sure to them it was a good laugh, and for the twisted cops, a chance to show how tough they were in destroying the lives of those they went after. 

Having said that, some of the things people were prosecuted for are still illegal today, for good reason.  

Which is why, seriously, less is more.

• Like 2

The apology is getting plenty of publicity on social media, and Clare Barber MHK Director and Trustee of Isle of Man read out the letter to Paul Moulton.  It’s a pity Clare Barber didn’t spend as much time addressing the cost of living, housing crisis, health crisis and Manx energy crisis as she has on her other activities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I’m sure some police are like that now. 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

In the letter Gary Roberts comments that police officers had no choice but to carry out the wishes of Tynwald. There is always a choice, and a blind eye could have been turned. 

He also speculates, having first completely absolved himself of any knowledge about it despite the fact that he worked for the force then, that there might have been a religious element to it. It’s a terrible letter and I’m still not sure after 5 pages it is really an unequivocal apology. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2112 said:

In the letter Gary Roberts comments that police officers had no choice but to carry out the wishes of Tynwald. There is always a choice, and a blind eye could have been turned. 

What else should they turn a blind eye to?
At least Gary had the courage to address the matter prior to his forthcoming retirement unlike previous CCs. 

Whether anyone likes it or not, the wishes of Tynwald, according to Gary Roberts, officers had no choice but to carry out Tynwalds wishes - therefore ‘I was only obeying orders!’. As I said officers had a choice, to arrest, turn a blind eye or to warn them to cease. I don’t disagree that the apology showed courage, but it was long overdue, and it was obvious it was pushed by others rather than coming naturally from him.

To be honest if you asked everyone who had an interest in, or an opinion on this shameful episode to draft a letter of apology for Gary Roberts  to sign you would end up with very many differing types of letters.

Some would be short, some would be long. Some might focus entirely on one aspect, others on another. Different letters may exclude some aspects and include others.

Whatever apology was issued it would never be the right one for some ( and that’s understandable).

However the fact (as I understand it) that the content has been agreed with the Isle of Pride people does lend it some sort of “legitimacy”

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

However the fact (as I understand it) that the content has been agreed with the Isle of Pride people does lend it some sort of “legitimacy”

If I was on the Pride committee I wouldn’t have signed that off. There is no apology in there. 

• Like 1