Isle of Pride

16 minutes ago, Bandits said:

If I was on the Pride committee I wouldn’t have signed that off. There is no apology in there. 

Two Trustees of the Isle of Pride, and founders and committee members, Clare Barber MHK Minister of DEFA and Jane Poole Wilson MHK, Minister of Justice and Home Affairs - Gary Roberts political boss. It sounds to me an apology written and approved by a committee to tick boxes, please people, garner publicity especially when the Pride event is next weekend. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Two Trustees of the Isle of Pride, and founders and committee members, Clare Barber MHK Minister of DEFA and Jane Poole Wilson MHK, Minister of Justice and Home Affairs - Gary Roberts political boss. It sounds to me an apology written and approved by a committee to tick boxes, please people, garner publicity especially when the Pride event is next weekend. 

Roberts walks away from this with little credibility. He blamed everyone else and basically didn’t apologize at all. 

Edited by Bandits

53 minutes ago, Bandits said:

If I was on the Pride committee I wouldn’t have signed that off. There is no apology in there. 

I think that’s a little churlish. As I previously said whatever he wrote wouldn’t have satisfied everyone.

He is also still in situ and I don’t know but presumably if he gave an absolutely unqualified apology ( without say for example mentioning the law as it stood at the time) he could open up the possibility of legal action against the force. Which may be a good thing but not something he in his role should be responsible for.

I would imagine that this letter was run past the lawyers before it was issued.

Perhaps JW could comment on this aspect?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last sentence second para added
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Have you read the letter? It’s a very poor attempt at an apology. 

Yes I’ve read it. 
Like I say above he may have had to issue it under certain constraints.

But it does show regret and I don’t  think all the condemnation is entirely appropriate.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Added a bit

He was not in charge when these houndings were taking place the ones who were have probably croaked by now.    It is a blot on our Nation’s history born out of ignorance and wickedness and to think it was not that long ago is shameful but all the apologies in the world cannot undo the actions that caused such pain and distress.   Whatever he said was never going to be enough.

• Like 6

“Things were different then”

That has some truth, but it should never  be uttered without at least some  reflection.

Not all of 70’s society was happily immersed in the tedious innuendo and sniggers of the “Carry On “ and Benny Hill variety and overtly homophobic. For many it  didn’t merit a view or opinion.

Which in way was more serious, as the problem was ignorance.

I was guilty of that.

Only looking  back, I feel I failed some of my friends at that time, simply by not understanding them.

I failed to recognise  them fully ,to listen, and to talk about what was important to them.

• Like 1