Isle of Pride

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Thanks Gladys. I don’t have Netflix.

Funny that two hugely acclaimed and popular series over the past couple of years had Manx connections - It's a Sin and Heartstopper.  

The first was an absolute binge watch, that had me in tears.  Stuff has been so wrong and it isn't actually about sex, it is all about being able to be yourself. 

When you have a family member try to take their life because the 'being able to be yourself' is a seemingly a dead end with no hope, then perhaps that little shift is not too much of an effort. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Lot's of silly FB comments, including one little jerk who can't wait for all old people to be dead so that bigotry will finally be a thing of the past! Good luck with that mate!

Don't think he'd need luck for that, just time...

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

just fairness and equity.

.........exactly, something no one will argue with or object to - but just get on with it without enforcing a specific group's sexual preferences publicly that the rest of us either have no interest in or, as is still the case for many, object to.

Can't wait for BDSM week- let's paint all the seats on Peel Prom latex black..........no, thought not.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

.........exactly, something no one will argue with or object to - but just get on with it without enforcing a specific group's sexual preferences publicly that the rest of us either have no interest in or, as is still the case for many, object to.

Can't wait for BDSM week- let's paint all the seats on Peel Prom latex black..........no, thought not.

Nobody is "enforcing a specific group's sexual preferences publicly".

And BDSM isn't a sexual preference, it's a kink.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

It was a great event, very happy and lots of smiley, chatty people.  

Shame about DD being referred to as Mrs, but perhaps there was a poetic justice there.

We had to leave because it was just too hot, shouldn't complain but I hope everyone has a great time. 

I don't get this reference to Dominic Delaney. What's that all about ? Can anyone enlighten me ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I don't get this reference to Dominic Delaney. What's that all about ? Can anyone enlighten me ?

I have been corrected it was Mrs Delaney, apparently. The quote was something like 'what these people want is to be treated the same as heterosexuals, to marry and have the same rights as heterosexuals' to which Joe Locke said 'yep, that about sums it up".  

54 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What’s “meh”?

And who is Joe Locke? 

He’s a thoroughly good kid very grounded one of my tribe did lots of shows and stuff with him - he often struggled with lifts and transport as his Mum doesn’t drive and was always grateful for a lift - he keeps in touch with his IOM drama / acting  friends whenever home - he’s alright 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Lot's of silly FB comments, including one little jerk who can't wait for all old people to be dead so that bigotry will finally be a thing of the past! Good luck with that mate!

Was the jerk a German or an I -ty/ chink?

Fu8in cant stand them lot. They bombed our chippy you know.

21 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Nothing was enforced.  The sexual act is irrelevant and was not the point of it.  More to recognise that those with a different sexuality are no less valid members of society and it should not define people.  Just like your or my heterosexuality does not define us, there is much more to us and we take that for granted. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Nobody is "enforcing a specific group's sexual preferences publicly".

And BDSM isn't a sexual preference, it's a kink.

Some argue BDSM should be on the flag, too. All a bit fluid these days.

Anyroads, I found this quite open hostility towards police a bit odd. They were on the float leading the parade. I know local history has been rocky in this regard, but still. Weren’t we supposed to be past that? 

99CFA5F6-1661-4B2A-AD3D-AEE05279858D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Don't think he'd need luck for that, just time...

I don't think it's a question of waiting, there's still a lot of bigotry amongst the young. There are some real knuckledraggers out there, and not particularly on the Isle of Man. 

His comments in calling down all 'old people' as bigots and wishing them all dead was particularly ignorant and petulant!

The bigoted MHK's were just doing what they thought their electorate wanted I'm sure, just to ensure they got re-elected. They were very wrong indeed.