Isle of Pride

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Lot's of silly FB comments, including one little jerk who can't wait for all old people to be dead so that bigotry will finally be a thing of the past! Good luck with that mate!

If that particular little jerk could wave a wand and all the old people (I dunno, say everyone over 45 for arguments sake) suddenly died, I would guarantee they would find something else to so nastily kick against and be self-offended. It's what they do.

Edited by AOR

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Lot's of silly FB comments, including one little jerk who can't wait for all old people to be dead so that bigotry will finally be a thing of the past! Good luck with that mate!

That's the trouble with old people these days.  They're such snowflakes, always complaining at the slightest thing that doesn't fit in with their feelings and looking for reasons to be offended!

(Seriously, you're getting upset at someone saying something stupid on Facebook?).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's the trouble with old people these days.  They're such snowflakes, always complaining at the slightest thing that doesn't fit in with their feelings and looking for reasons to be offended!

(Seriously, you're getting upset at someone saying something stupid on Facebook?).

I'm not upset, just beginning to feel old!

10 minutes ago, AOR said:

A bit different than some of the antics of UK similar events then.

No idea about that.  Post a link.

It seems very simple to me, sexuality isn't important.  But it has been for too long.  

So what Pride is about is saying "yes, that is what I am, but is it really any different to you as a person?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Some argue BDSM should be on the flag, too. All a bit fluid these days.

Anyroads, I found this quite open hostility towards police a bit odd. They were on the float leading the parade. I know local history has been rocky in this regard, but still. Weren’t we supposed to be past that? 

99CFA5F6-1661-4B2A-AD3D-AEE05279858D.jpeg

I find it more than a bit odd. I find these placards quite offensive. After campaigning for decades for inclusivity, to want to exclude one particular group seems a bit of an own goal.

Especially when most are looking for reconciliation after past events.

Shame on them.

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I find it more than a bit odd. I find these placards quite offensive. After campaigning for decades for inclusivity, to want to exclude one particular group seems a bit of an own goal.

Shame on them.

If some of the stories I have heard are true,  shame on the police in previous years.

Have to say, the police that were there today were great and there was a bit of banter. 

But, really, there has been an apology so perhaps move on?  Unless, of course, you are a family member of someone who cannot move on.

It was a shameful period that we still had the legislation, and dubious methods to enforce it.  It actually wasn't that long ago.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Shame on them.

The police aren't a societal group.

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If some of the stories I have heard are true,  shame on the police in previous years.

Have to say, the police that were there today were great and there was a bit of banter. 

But, really, there has been an apology so perhaps move on?  Unless, of course, you are a family member of someone who cannot move on.

It was a shameful period that we still had the legislation, and dubious methods to enforce it.  It actually wasn't that long ago.

There is no doubt that the police did act shamefully in those dark times.

But I think you have to move on to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past.

It seems that Alan Shea is willing to draw a line under this so who are we to decide otherwise ( unless of course as you say you have family members, friends that were driven to desperate measures).

It must also be remembered that the majority of coppers in the IOM police force were not even born when all this was happening. So to exclude them from celebrating gay rights ( societal group or not) is to cause division. No doubt amongst the police contingent today there were gay and lesbian officers.

So those two ladies holding up the placards ( who equally don’t look like they were born anytime around Alan’s showing at Tynwald) need to have a word with themselves. They did the LGBT + community no favours.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There is no doubt that the police did act shamefully in those dark times.

But I think you have to move on to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past.

It seems that Alan Shea is willing to draw a line under this so who are we to decide otherwise ( unless of course as you say you have family members, friends that were driven to desperate measures).

It must also be remembered that the majority of coppers in the IOM police force were not even born when all this was happening. So to exclude them from celebrating gay rights ( societal group or not) is to cause division. No doubt amongst the police contingent today there were gay and lesbian officers.

So those two ladies holding up the placards ( who equally don’t look like they were born anytime around Alan’s showing at Tynwald) need to have a word with themselves. They did the LGBT + community no favours.

I saw 3 uniformed police officers today that are gay and 3 who were there enjoying themselves.  Quite frankly those people with the signs need to grow up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nobody is stopping individuals who are police officers from attending (nor has anyone stopped the police force as an organisation this year either).

Historic problems with policing aren't the only problems with policing.