Isle of Pride

Love the whole prom lighting up in rainbow colours tonight. Great job by electric services. If you have a charity and have an event or special day, having the lights switched to your colour(s) for a day or a few days is free. Just ask your friendly council representative :) 

E3A1B101-3AAC-426B-A6C1-8F7B6A4EC097.jpeg

55C5D573-E338-4EC2-8614-6AC1C82919F4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Love the whole prom lighting up in rainbow colours tonight. Great job by electric services. If you have a charity and have an event or special day, having the lights switched to your colour(s) for a day or a few days is free. Just ask your friendly council representative :) 

That looks great actually. Now if only they could make it look nice in daylight too! ;) 

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Some argue BDSM should be on the flag, too. All a bit fluid these days.

Anyroads, I found this quite open hostility towards police a bit odd. They were on the float leading the parade. I know local history has been rocky in this regard, but still. Weren’t we supposed to be past that? 

99CFA5F6-1661-4B2A-AD3D-AEE05279858D.jpeg

I found it odd that there were plenty of uniformed coppers amongst the happy, relaxed friendly well-stewarded crowd at Pride. And when I got back to Port Erin we had to push through a drunken, boistorous mob to get off the bus. There's been constant shouting outside since I got back just like last night and last weekend. And not a copper in sight.

I went down with the family and thought it was great the only thing that threw me a bit was when you went in security were searching through bags, very good humouredly, and I said to one …no alcohol to declare as I thought that was the idea behind it and he told me they were searching for drugs and knives which I thought was a bit over the top.    There were lots of families there and the young one had a ball, face painted, free stick ons, bouncy castles all free.   As Gladys said the heat got a bit much but we enjoyed an ice cream under the arcade before heading home.   There was a good variety of food outlets and the entertainment was good.

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I went down with the family and thought it was great the only thing that threw me a bit was when you went in security were searching through bags, very good humouredly, and I said to one …no alcohol to declare as I thought that was the idea behind it and he told me they were searching for drugs and knives which I thought was a bit over the top.    There were lots of families there and the young one had a ball, face painted, free stick ons, bouncy castles all free.   As Gladys said the heat got a bit much but we enjoyed an ice cream under the arcade before heading home.   There was a good variety of food outlets and the entertainment was good.

Who did the security? The police? Or G4S? It’s odd that there were security checks, and wonder if the main VM had security checks?

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

If some of the stories I have heard are true,  shame on the police in previous years.

Have to say, the police that were there today were great and there was a bit of banter. 

But, really, there has been an apology so perhaps move on?  Unless, of course, you are a family member of someone who cannot move on.

It was a shameful period that we still had the legislation, and dubious methods to enforce it.  It actually wasn't that long ago.

If police want to attend they can take the day off work and turn up in  rainbow deely-boppers. Or if it all kicked off and security called them in, sure. But why attend a peaceful stewarded event? They weren't at the football for example.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Security searching bags was weird, mainly because the whole huge parade walked into the gardens at the start of the event without being searched at all. Literally hundreds of people. I’m sure I could have smuggled a King Tiger in there had I painted it in rainbow colours. Rendered the whole exercise at the other entrance later rather pointless, but I guess it may have been a condition of the event or something? 

EF8C038D-C31F-4749-89DB-9A7D55CFCE05.jpeg

DE78DAEA-6174-4427-A94A-8C1944117890.jpeg

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

But, really, there has been an apology so perhaps move on?  Unless, of course, you are a family member of someone who cannot move on.

There was an apology but people still want to be offended on behalf of somebody else. If people want to get on with others then just stop polarising yourselves. I’m glad todays event went well but would it not have sent out a better message if they had joined in with Douglas carnival?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

What kind of lighting would you suggest for the non gay people who are happy getting along with them?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Passing Time said:

What kind of lighting would you suggest for the non gay people who are happy getting along with them?

There’s all sorts.

Red & Yellow for Tynwald day.

pink for breast cancer awareness

green for 17 March

orange for leukaemia survivor

etc

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There is no doubt that the police did act shamefully in those dark times.

But I think you have to move on to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past.

It seems that Alan Shea is willing to draw a line under this so who are we to decide otherwise ( unless of course as you say you have family members, friends that were driven to desperate measures).

It must also be remembered that the majority of coppers in the IOM police force were not even born when all this was happening. So to exclude them from celebrating gay rights ( societal group or not) is to cause division. No doubt amongst the police contingent today there were gay and lesbian officers.

So those two ladies holding up the placards ( who equally don’t look like they were born anytime around Alan’s showing at Tynwald) need to have a word with themselves. They did the LGBT + community no favours.

Not sure why AS should be the arbiter. 

Police presence at any type of demonstration/event is potentially problematic.

As individuals, representing themselves, not in uniform. I’ve no problem.

As officers on duty, policing. Some may find this provocative. But appropriate policing at appropriate levels of visibility is a societal requirement.

Police representation and presence as part of the parade/event. This potentially problematic. Official float, which events to attend, why, on duty, off duty, in uniform, out of uniform, paid from the public purse?

Its important that individual officers and their family and friends are able to attend and enjoy. It’s important the event is policed.

The final one, an organised non policing presence, I’m not so sure

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Declan said:

If police want to attend they can take the day off work and turn up in  rainbow deely-boppers. Or if it all kicked off and security called them in, sure. But why attend a peaceful stewarded event? They weren't at the football for example.

I think the police presence was more symbolic following the apology rather than actual policing.

Don't understand the security, none when I arrived early on, but 3 hours later when we left everyone was having their bags searched. 

Edited by Gladys