Isle of Pride

I was too a bit puzzled by this search. The thought crossed my mind that the tightened security was somehow preventative measures to guard against potential acts of terrorism (especially in light of what has just happened to Salman Rushdie). Clearly, the IOM is not that sort of place and these things never happen here, but they could. Alternatively, it could simply be that the ‘higher powers’ decided to be more vigilant than usual.

Overall, the event had a great atmosphere. We felt a tangible sense of ‘reconciliation’ and ‘acceptance’, but of course after centuries of injustice against a particular group in our society it will take long time to heal all past wounds. Just like the statues of former slave owners being removed single acts that heal some of the wrongs of the past are not complete and instantaneous panaceas, but are important milestones on the road to full rehabilitation.

Edited by code99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Just an observation but there was policing at the Royal Show as well and I am sure they are also at things like the food fair, normally near the Dinky Donuts

But no one was searched going into the Royal show , are we seeing double standards here ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I bet there were dozens of illegal locking blades at the Agri show.

Of course, but I’m not sure that the type of show/event/amount of alcohol is comparable. Or the risk of an attack. There are still some LGBTQI phobics around. Do we have militant members of PETA or meat exclusionary vegan vigilantes?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Of course, but I’m not sure that the type of show/event/amount of alcohol is comparable. Or the risk of an attack. There are still some LGBTQI phobics around. Do we have militant members of PETA or meat exclusionary vegan vigilantes?

Not yet, but give it time.