Isle of Pride

46 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There has been a comedian, I use the term lightly, that was thrown off the stage at the Fringe yesterday for displaying his bits and pieces on stage and insulting the wannabe PM Rishi.   This information courtesy Daily Wail so could be suspect.

Jerry Sadowiz - the man who did a routine which said that Jimmy Saville was a paedophile in about 1987 then got banned by most UK TV networks for decades for his troubles. I bet it was a good show. Anyone who knew him would have known that they would be offended. That’s basically his act, to cause as much offense as possible. What happened to just leaving a show you didn’t like? Why do people nowdays have to then decide that nobody else should see it either by moaning to the organizers and getting acts banned? The whole point of the Fringe is to challenge boundaries surely?

As the Guardian reports 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/aug/14/jerry-sadowitz-edinburgh-fringe-show-cancelled-over-extreme-racism-homophobia-and-misogyny

“A large number of people walked out of Jerry Sadowitz’s show as they felt uncomfortable and unsafe to remain in the venue”

Those great words uncomfortable and unsafe being used again when younger people hear things they don’t like.

They followed up with “We will not associate with content which attacks people’s dignity, and the language used on stage was, in our view, completely unacceptable”

Edited by Wavey Davey
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

Jerry Sadowiz - the man who did a routine which said that Jimmy Saville was a paedophile in about 1987 then got banned by most UK TV networks for decades for his troubles. I bet it was a good show. Anyone who knew him would have known that they would be offended. That’s basically his act, to cause as much offense as possible. What happened to just leaving a show you didn’t like? Why do people nowdays have to then decide that nobody else should see it either by moaning to the organizers and getting acts banned? The whole point of the Fringe is to challenge boundaries surely?

[...]Those great words uncomfortable and unsafe being used again when younger people hear things they don’t like.

How do you know it was 'younger people' that were behind this?  The banning seems to have come from the people running the venue, not normally a group from the younger age-group.  In fact it's interesting the lack of audience members proclaiming how shocked they were.

But the whole thing is ridiculous.  It's Jerry Sadowitz FFS.  His whole thing is being incredibly and randomly offensive - and it has been for at least 30 years.  For an Edinburgh venue to start pearl-clutching at this stage as if they've never heard the like is literally unbelievable.

Sadowitz's statement issued yesterday is a good explanation of how his act works (or often doesn't):

image.png.90816fbbda3f26462c4d578576c6a75c.png

But it also hints at what might be the true story here.  He was put on in a venue too large for him, which they then had trouble filling.  I get the impression that Edinburgh audiences are well down on normal anyway and an act as visceral as Sadowitz is always going to be diluted in a 1200-seater.  They tried to use the offence excuse to get out of things and it's then blown up in their faces.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

“A large number of people walked out of Jerry Sadowitz’s show as they felt uncomfortable and unsafe to remain in the venue”

Those great words uncomfortable and unsafe being used again when younger people hear things they don’t like.

They followed up with “We will not associate with content which attacks people’s dignity, and the language used on stage was, in our view, completely unacceptable”

Typical wokes; oh I feel unsafe standing in a massive big hall listening to a comedy act saying things I don’t like and I’m so offended I don’t think anyone should ever see this act again where are the police? Who could be more miserable than Generation Z? They perhaps should have gone to a basket weaving class or paid to see a black transgender comedian telling Baby Boomer jokes. 

27 minutes ago, Declan said:

Who'd have thought Jerry Sadowitz would live long enough for the Daily Mail to be outraged at his cancellation!

Don't worry.  As soon as they can't blame it on the 'Wokes' (as opposed to their normal readership the Comatose) they'll be back to Ban This Sick Filth without a hint of irony.

1 hour ago, BriT said:

I find it odd how kids hate their grandparents so much. 

Not hating but that generation got free everything, never fought a war, never did without, did absolutley fuck all apart from buy a house when it was cheap and then expect a replacement hip of the NHS, and yet they are always fucking moaning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Didn't realise Sadowitz was still around. I remember him from thirty years ago. A 'comedy' cult.

A bit rich that he has a dig at Jim Davidson though when his own material is far more offensive. 

I think his point was that he works hard at being offensive, while Davidson just manages it without trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HiVibes said:

Not hating but that generation got free everything, never fought a war, never did without, did absolutley fuck all apart from buy a house when it was cheap and then expect a replacement hip of the NHS, and yet they are always fucking moaning.

I think you must be joking, where were all these cheap houses when people were earning £20 a week? I must have missed it when they were handing all those out?

Never did without, or did fuck all what does that even mean? Care to give examples?

Never fought a war, other than the multitudes who joined the forces to keep employed? Then ended up in NI or the Falklands.

Free everything? Let me tell you that benefits today are way more comprehensive, it's a lifestyle choice now, impossible in the 60's 70's, 80's etc If you didn't work, you were buggered! 

So you won't be asking for a free hip then I take it?

'Boomers' worked when work was work, not a safe space where you could go and hang out with your mates and expect government to provide childcare, or get six weeks sick pay every year, or four weeks holiday, or get a years maternity leave, or get a nice HR person to make sure you haven't been offended etc etc etc.   

Entitled sod!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think you must be joking, where were all these cheap houses when people were earning £20 a week? I must have missed it when they were handing all those out?

Never did without, or did fuck all what does that even mean? Care to give examples?

Never fought a war, other than the multitudes who joined the forces to keep employed? Then ended up in NI or the Falklands.

Free everything? Let me tell you that benefits today are way more comprehensive, it's a lifestyle choice now, impossible in the 60's 70's, 80's etc If you didn't work, you were buggered! 

So you won't be asking for a free hip then I take it?

'Boomers' worked when work was work, not a safe space where you could go and hang out with your mates and expect government to provide childcare, or get six weeks sick pay every year, or four weeks holiday, or get a years maternity leave, or get a nice HR person to make sure you haven't been offended etc etc etc.   

Entitled sod!

Okay boomer.

• Haha 1