Isle of Pride

34 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Not hating but that generation got free everything, never fought a war, never did without, did absolutley fuck all apart from buy a house when it was cheap and then expect a replacement hip of the NHS, and yet they are always fucking moaning.

Excellent way to show you know absolutely fuck all...

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

Okay boomer.

We can't control when we are born, I'd love to be a kid again, not going to happen. All this divisive crap is just diverting the blame for the absolute mess we are in to people who have had no control over anything, like the current generations, it was just as frustrating then as it is now. So your point is?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

We can't control when we are born, I'd love to be a kid again, not going to happen. All this divisive crap is just diverting the blame for the absolute mess we are in to people who have had no control over anything, like the current generations, it was just as frustrating then as it is now. So your point is?

Was just playing into the joke, was intended sarcasm as the "Okay boomer" is quite the joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_boomer

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Not hating but that generation got free everything, never fought a war, never did without, did absolutley fuck all apart from buy a house when it was cheap and then expect a replacement hip of the NHS, and yet they are always fucking moaning.

Hi, “Vibes” - if this forum wasn’t anonymous, I wonder if you’d be prepared to demonstrate your complete ignorance, for the sake of such a tired, derivative line?

44 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think you must be joking, where were all these cheap houses when people were earning £20 a week? I must have missed it when they were handing all those out?

Never did without, or did fuck all what does that even mean? Care to give examples?

Rather than examples let's look at the actual graph of house prices versus earnings for recent times as calculated by those well-known Commie agitators Shroeders (so based on many millions of examples in other words):

image.thumb.png.d203d138fa007cd6cdd69b46bdb89d24.png

You'll see that between roughly 1955 and 1995 house prices (including the time that 'Baby Boomers'[1] would be buying their first property) remained between 4 and 5 times average earnings.  There were occasional booms that took it up to 6, but these rapidly deflated.

Since 1995 the ratio has risen and has remained between 7 and 8.  This partly due to house price inflation and partly due to earnings being static in real terms since 2008 while the wealth of those with capital has increased.  And those renting are paying higher rents than before and so have less to save from while landlords can save to buy more properties for cash and so push up prices.

I suppose the young would be even more 'entitled' if house prices were 10 times earnings.

[1]  Following US models, this is usually used to describe those born between 1945 and 1965.  I'd actually start the range a bit earlier in British terms in terms of attitudes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can recall lower Douglas as a kid, Chester Street, Wellington Square, Tynwald Terrace, Tynwald Street etc, where many people had absolutely nothing at all. They all carried out some form of work but couldn't move out of poverty, and I mean real poverty. Never mind buying a house or car!

There were a lot of places like this in the 60s and 70s, nobody was looking for handouts, in fact that would be shameful! Now handouts are a big part of living, especially if you want the trappings of modern life!

Edited by Max Power
Add comment
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Rather than examples let's look at the actual graph of house prices versus earnings for recent times as calculated by those well-known Commie agitators Shroeders (so based on many millions of examples in other words):

image.thumb.png.d203d138fa007cd6cdd69b46bdb89d24.png

You'll see that between roughly 1955 and 1995 house prices (including the time that 'Baby Boomers'[1] would be buying their first property) remained between 4 and 5 times average earnings.  There were occasional booms that took it up to 6, but these rapidly deflated.

Since 1995 the ratio has risen and has remained between 7 and 8.  This partly due to house price inflation and partly due to earnings being static in real terms since 2008 while the wealth of those with capital has increased.  And those renting are paying higher rents than before and so have less to save from while landlords can save to buy more properties for cash and so push up prices.

I suppose the young would be even more 'entitled' if house prices were 10 times earnings.

[1]  Following US models, this is usually used to describe those born between 1945 and 1965.  I'd actually start the range a bit earlier in British terms in terms of attitudes.

does that graph apply here ?  i remember in the mid 80's when i was earning 6k ish a year there were houses going for under 20k

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

does that graph apply here ?  i remember in the mid 80's when i was earning 6k ish a year there were houses going for under 20k

It'll be more or the same I think.  Remember the graph is based on average prices, so you're comparing your earnings (which may have been a bit above average) with the lowest prices for houses.  That's why individual examples always give a misleading impression  - especially as people tend to remember the unusual rather than the regular. 

Before the finance sector took off house prices probably were lower here than across, but average wages would have been lower as well.  That's why a graph showing the ration between them is helpful - and of course mortgage lenders traditionally lend on multiple of earnings.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I can recall lower Douglas as a kid, Chester Street, Wellington Square, Tynwald Terrace, Tynwald Street etc, where many people had absolutely nothing at all. They all carried out some form of work but couldn't move out of poverty, and I mean real poverty. Never mind buying a house or car!

There were a lot of places like this in the 60s and 70s, nobody was looking for handouts, in fact that would be shameful! Now handouts are a big part of living, especially if you want the trappings of modern life!

Things have been bad before, things are bad (and deteriorating) now. Constantly turning it into some sort of pissing contest instead of helping to fix it isn't constructive though is it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Things have been bad before, things are bad (and deteriorating) now. Constantly turning it into some sort of pissing contest instead of helping to fix it isn't constructive though is it.

Indeed.

However, when the boomers were having it so good, they were providing a higher quality of life for their kids - holidays, electronics, better quality of home, car, gadgets, funding uni, etc. It is not as though the boomers salted it all away and didn't improve the whole family's lot, ie that of the next generation. 

• Like 3