Isle of Pride

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Indeed.

However, when the boomers were having it so good, they were providing a higher quality of life for their kids - holidays, electronics, better quality of home, car, gadgets, funding uni, etc. It is not as though the boomers salted it all away and didn't improve the whole family's lot, ie that of the next generation. 

The goodwill will run out if they keep voting for Governments who want to ruin kids' futures though ;) 

Just now, Gladys said:

Get your point, but we don't vote for a Government, we vote for a person, our MHK.  That's yer lot!  

I more mean the UK really, I don't think we're exactly spoiled for choice over here with MHK candidates, and they're (sort of) independent, so less of an old/young Tory/Labour divide.

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I more mean the UK really, I don't think we're exactly spoiled for choice over here with MHK candidates, and they're (sort of) independent, so less of an old/young Tory/Labour divide.

And there lies the problem. HoK is a rag tag of disparate individuals with no clearly defined stance on anything, until the CM is chosen who then chooses CoMin and then we have a Government, not the one chosen. 

May work OK when times are not challenging, not so sure it works in times of real stricture, such as we have had for the past couple of years. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

May work OK when times are not challenging, not so sure it works in times of real stricture, such as we have had for the past couple of years. 

It works fine in times of plenty, such as the annual receipt of a tsunami of VAT rebate, allowing many a doorstep promise of social nirvana to be realised. And various expensive faux pas to be smoothed over and paid off without too much concern or protest.

Times ahead may be somewhat more austere and people may well start to question things with a bit more vigour when they are being directly affected - principally, in the pocket. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It works fine in times of plenty, such as the annual receipt of a tsunami of VAT rebate, allowing many a doorstep promise of social nirvana to be realised. And various expensive faux pas to be smoothed over and paid off without too much concern or protest.

Times ahead may be somewhat more austere and people may well start to question things with a bit more vigour when they are being directly affected - principally, in the pocket. 

I hope so, the requisition meeting in Lonan may well be the start. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

'Boomers' worked when work was work, not a safe space where you could go and hang out with your mates and expect government to provide childcare, or get six weeks sick pay every year, or four weeks holiday, or get a years maternity leave, or get a nice HR person to make sure you haven't been offended etc etc etc.   

You don't live in the real world I guess, people still do shitty jobs and long hours but now it s zero hours contracts and free overtime, not this made up shit you imagine it is. 

6 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

You don't live in the real world I guess, people still do shitty jobs and long hours but now it s zero hours contracts and free overtime, not this made up shit you imagine it is. 

Your comments are quite amusing really and ignore the grinding poverty often experienced in the 1950s and 1960s here. You just think people bought houses for nothing and made shed loads of cash and then screwed over their grandchildren in the process. I’d guess what most people of that generation experienced isn't the same as working in Maccies and not being able to afford a new iPhone. It was literally having nothing and having to find ways to scrape an income out of almost nothing.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

Your comments are quite amusing really and ignore the grinding poverty often experienced in the 1950s and 1960s here. You just think people bought houses for nothing and made shed loads of cash and then screwed over their grandchildren in the process. I’d guess what most people of that generation experienced isn't the same as working in Maccies and not being able to afford a new iPhone. It was literally having nothing and having to find ways to scrape an income out of almost nothing.

well facts are facts, yes grinding poverty but you all managed to buy houses, because they did not cost much,  I know people who bought a house for 5000 in the seventies on a government loan same house is now worth 500,000, they did not work harder or longer than todays young, but that is some opportunity, and yes they remortgaged and bought a few buy to lets to totally screw over the young, just so they could do a few cruises a year. 

8 hours ago, HiVibes said:

well facts are facts, yes grinding poverty but you all managed to buy houses, because they did not cost much,  I know people who bought a house for 5000 in the seventies on a government loan same house is now worth 500,000, they did not work harder or longer than todays young, but that is some opportunity, and yes they remortgaged and bought a few buy to lets to totally screw over the young, just so they could do a few cruises a year. 

One day you'' maybe post some evidence of these "facts" - you sure you weren't Woody in a previous life...😏

36 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

One day you'' maybe post some evidence of these "facts" - you sure you weren't Woody in a previous life...😏

HiVibes view is just plain spiteful. This generation don’t want to work for anything. They just want it on a plate. Why can’t I have the free houses by grandparents bought? Only it wasn’t free they were earning a few quid a week and the £5000 they borrowed was a huge sum. Most people want to work hard to better the pathway their parents took. Not to sit there with their hand out claiming they’ve been ripped off and where my free stuff. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bandits said:

HiVibes view is just plain spiteful. This generation don’t want to work for anything. They just want it on a plate. Why can’t I have the free houses by grandparents bought? Only it wasn’t free they were earning a few quid a week and the £5000 they borrowed was a huge sum. Most people want to work hard to better the pathway their parents took. Not to sit there with their hand out claiming they’ve been ripped off and where my free stuff. 

You can also lay the blame firmly at the feet of government. It is too easy to claim benefits these days. Yes there are familiies in genuine need but there a large number of people rinsing the system

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

What a load of tosh, I know people working 3 jobs to pay a huge rent, and save money for years towards a massive deposit that just keeps going out of reach and those are the ones that just have not given up so hopeless is the task. And you talk about handed on a plate, you really have no clue about the real world which is a trait of boomers,  you had the world handed on a plate, and yet all you do is moan about benefits whilst your poor health and feckless lifestyle choices are paid for from taxes from the working young. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

56 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

You can also lay the blame firmly at the feet of government. It is too easy to claim benefits these days. Yes there are familiies in genuine need but there a large number of people rinsing the system

No there aren't.