Isle of Pride

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

Where's Mad Uncle Ronnie when you need him...

I hope I am wrong but I think Uncle Ronnie has passed. 

He certainly saw/sees things from a down to earth point of view and could relate to us a little of how the Isle of Man was 'back in the day'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrGarrison said:

Uncle Ronnie is alive and well. The only person who pedals that story is an angry muppet who gets the real Ronnie banned every time he tries to rejoin this forum. 

Glad to hear this. My deepest apologies.

I am a huge Mad Uncle Ronnie maduncleronnie fan.

Long live maduncleronnie

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

The primary function of the police force is to uphold and defend existing power structures. It's no particular surprise that those at the bleeding edge of the fight for rights, equality and justice aren't their biggest supporters.

Bit of a cynical view there @HeliX I thought their primary function was to uphold the law without favour? 

Sometimes those at the edge are just that, at the edge! 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 1:02 PM, wrighty said:

How much are benefits now? Serious question. And how does it compare with working full time for minimum wage?

I did a year and a bit on incapacity benefit.

Prior to that my earning were about 60k a year.  My monthly expenditure without eating or doing anything was about 3K.  I stupidly had no real savings or insurance for if I couldn’t earn.  I had however paid a shedload in tax and ni over the previous 25 years without ever claiming anything.

I was entitled to £84 a week and it nearly killed me.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AOR said:

Glad to hear this. My deepest apologies.

I am a huge Mad Uncle Ronnie maduncleronnie fan.

Long live maduncleronnie

He keeps coming back from time to time but sadly there’s an absolute wally on here who keeps getting him banned as they think he’s impersonating someone who is dead when he isn’t. I’m sure you can follow the trail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Bit of a cynical view there @HeliX I thought their primary function was to uphold the law without favour? 

Sometimes those at the edge are just that, at the edge! 

Who sets the law? Which groups are consistently over-policed? Answers on a postcard 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

I did a year and a bit on incapacity benefit.

Prior to that my earning were about 60k a year.  My monthly expenditure without eating or doing anything was about 3K.  I stupidly had no real savings or insurance for if I couldn’t earn.  I had however paid a shedload in tax and ni over the previous 25 years without ever claiming anything.

I was entitled to £84 a week and it nearly killed me.

Could you explain why £84 a week nearly killed you?

Were you not entitled to some sort of accommodation allowance?

Serious question

Fortunately for me I have never found myself in this position. But I would like to understand the ins and  outs.

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Who sets the law? Which groups are consistently over-policed? Answers on a postcard 🙂

Not the police anyway, usually the groups who are 'over policed' have within their ranks an element who tend to break the law. 

I'm not saying that the police are perfect, far from it, but there has to be a line somewhere and respect for that line.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Not the police anyway, usually the groups who are 'over policed' have within their ranks an element who tend to break the law. 

I'm not saying that the police are perfect, far from it, but there has to be a line somewhere and respect for that line.

No, the people in power set the law. As such the law tends to defend the current power structure.

All groups have elements who break the law, some are over policed for it though. Been going on for ages - it was known as "broken windows policing" in the states. It's easy "wins" for the police, and mostly has the net effect of keeping those who are struggling in exactly the struggles they're already in.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Could you explain why £84 a week nearly killed you?

Were you not entitled to some sort of accommodation allowance?

Serious question

Fortunately for me I have never found myself in this position. But I would like to understand the ins and  outs.

£700 a week outgoings without even considering food or energy bills and £84 a week income.

I wasn’t entitled to anything else so was plummeting into debt at a rate of knots.  
no further details I am prepared to share, but safe to say that up until a few years ago I assumed people on benefits always had options and that the system was there to help people who had paid in for decades and need some short term support.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HeliX said:

No, the people in power set the law. As such the law tends to defend the current power structure.

All groups have elements who break the law, some are over policed for it though. Been going on for ages - it was known as "broken windows policing" in the states. It's easy "wins" for the police, and mostly has the net effect of keeping those who are struggling in exactly the struggles they're already in.

I'm struggling here HeliX, can you give any examples of laws which the police enforce which are solely to defend the current power structure?

There are instances such as 'stop and search' which when abolished has led to a growth in fatal stabbings in London. I'm sure there is lazy policing, but the hoo hah over this has cost lives.