Isle of Pride

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm struggling here HeliX, can you give any examples of laws which the police enforce which are solely to defend the current power structure?

There are instances such as 'stop and search' which when abolished has led to a growth in fatal stabbings in London. I'm sure there is lazy policing, but the hoo hah over this has cost lives.  

Here's a famous photo Max

Police officer on horseback aims truncheon at woman in crowd

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm struggling here HeliX, can you give any examples of laws which the police enforce which are solely to defend the current power structure?

There are instances such as 'stop and search' which when abolished has led to a growth in fatal stabbings in London. I'm sure there is lazy policing, but the hoo hah over this has cost lives.  

I will do a terrible job of articulating because it's a wine kinda day, but I will recommend this, again,... https://www.versobooks.com/books/2426-the-end-of-policing

Few quid for the eBook version. Or I can lend you the paperback!

28 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

I've seen that sort of thing very close up and several times, the police actually provoked the reaction every time spoiling for it. Good point, but more the police being knobs than anything, with over zealous, narrow minded and unthinking brutality.  

12 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I will do a terrible job of articulating because it's a wine kinda day, but I will recommend this, again,... https://www.versobooks.com/books/2426-the-end-of-policing

Few quid for the eBook version. Or I can lend you the paperback!

It looks more like the book deals with American policing? Land of the free, with a police force full of total assholes. I think they are a law unto themselves rather than maintaining any other power structure?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It looks more like the book deals with American policing? Land of the free, with a police force full of total assholes. I think they are a law unto themselves rather than maintaining any other power structure?

Definitely largely focuses on American policing, but does comment on other countries too - and a lot of the systemic problems are there in most forces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

Is this one of those photos where you make an impression, then you get to see the wider angle perspective and it all makes sense?

Edited by AOR

10 hours ago, Asthehills said:

£700 a week outgoings without even considering food or energy bills and £84 a week income.

I wasn’t entitled to anything else so was plummeting into debt at a rate of knots.  
no further details I am prepared to share, but safe to say that up until a few years ago I assumed people on benefits always had options and that the system was there to help people who had paid in for decades and need some short term support.

That’s my assumption too

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-place-for-police-presence-at-pride-say-trans-drag-queens/

Seriously - WTF are these two clowns talking about? Historical events are just that. I doubt there is one serving policeman left here who was serving when being homosexual was illegal - even if there are any - at that time they were upholding the law. They weren't responsible for making the law FFS. So, shouldn't their protest be saying "No Politicians" at Pride events, hmm??

The irony of their statement is of course that it means that they, the queer folk, are being discriminatory - not to mention the fact that the Police have every right to be at such event, and in fact if they weren't, it would be unlikely that such an event would be allowed to take place for Health and Safety reasons.

Honestly boys - grow a pair, get over yourselves and maybe get your facts right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-place-for-police-presence-at-pride-say-trans-drag-queens/

Seriously - WTF are these two clowns talking about? Historical events are just that. I doubt there is one serving policeman left here who was serving when being homosexual was illegal - even if there are any - at that time they were upholding the law. They weren't responsible for making the law FFS. So, shouldn't their protest be saying "No Politicians" at Pride events, hmm??

The irony of their statement is of course that it means that they, the queer folk, are being discriminatory - not to mention the fact that the Police have every right to be at such event, and in fact if they weren't, it would be unlikely that such an event would be allowed to take place for Health and Safety reasons.

Honestly boys - grow a pair, get over yourselves and maybe get your facts right.

I liked the bit on the radio this morning that basically said everyone is welcome at pride, but that those of us who are not queer should remember we are guests - or something similar.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Haha 1