Isle of Pride

1 hour ago, BriT said:

Let’s be honest though nobody gets to dictate where the police should or shouldn’t police. And in fact if it’s known the police are not going to be there the event will just become a magnet for the local thieving scallies who know that chances of getting caught nicking phones and wallets is minimal. They’ve just idiots.

You're right.  Nobody gets to dictate where the police should or shouldn't police.  In a free society though, they do get to protest against police presence if they want to - and say "not in my name", if they don't agree with the stance that the  largely straight/cis pride trustees and directors have taken.  

Don't get me wrong, I think perhaps a more conciliatory stance might be a better way forward, but who are any of us to speak for them and how they feel?  I do know of trans individuals who have been subjected to some pretty awful treatment and haven't felt supported by the police, so although maybe the gay community feels that things have moved on, perhaps the same isn't true for the trans community or indeed others.

• Like 1

I don’t think they’re complaining about police being there to prevent bags being nicked, keeping public order etc, they’re saying that the police have no part being represented in the pride movement, which they view as a struggle against ‘the establishment’ (including the police) which for years was against them. 

I agree it doesn’t look good, and as usual they’re probably being misreported and misrepresented, but I’m sure there was no issue with individual police officers being involved, just not the organisation that is ‘the police’. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

and say "not in my name", if they don't agree with the stance that the  largely straight/cis pride trustees and directors have taken.  

I don’t have a problem with that bit. It’s completely bizarre the committee seems to be middle aged housewives. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HeliX said:

It's not just about historical events. It's about the police force's role.

No they're not. Not wanting the police force there isn't discrimination. If they said "No people who happen to be police officers" and banned off-duty police, that'd be discrimination.

Helix

You have been a staunch advocate of LGBT + rights here which few would disagree with.

But surely there comes a time when some actions are beyond the pale and cannot be excused,like the antics these two trans/ drag queen clowns have indulged in.

Without wishing to trivialize, this is like a West Ham fan trying to justify Kurt Zouma kicking his cat like a rugby ball simply because they are a West Ham fan.

Its OK to say what this pair did bought their cause into disrepute without having to desperately find a way to justify it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I don't think they should have said it either. They're young and they have no memory of those days, they're just being indignant on the behalf of others. No doubt a lot still goes on - but it was the wrong thing to do. Pride is supposed to be an inclusive event, it goes against their whole ethos to alienate a group of people because of something officers who have long gone did in the past.

More to the point Rox, the organisers said the police were welcome to attend and they did with visibility and good humour.  So, it seemed to me, that the police were saying 'here we are, you can see us as the police force not individuals who may attend because of their personal views, and we, the police, are supporting you and the event'.  It was a bridge building effort, but a couple of people construed it otherwise. 

• Like 3

No issues with gay people, trans people etc, they can do whatever they like within their 'community' or whatever. I have genuine friends in that community, nice people, but they agree that the attention seeking of what appear to be extremists with ill thought out agendas are setting them back years!

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I don't think they should have said it either. They're young and they have no memory of those days, they're just being indignant on the behalf of others. No doubt a lot still goes on - but it was the wrong thing to do. Pride is supposed to be an inclusive event, it goes against their whole ethos to alienate a group of people because of something officers who have long gone did in the past.

It's not about the historic actions of the IoM police.

Yes,  my two memories of the Pride event was the picture of a cute young girl , all dressed up in her tasteful pride outfit with such a beautiful smile and interested to know the convo her mum would have had with her. Then we had the picture of the two Trans people protesting against the police presence. Sorry, but I so know which made a lasting impression on me and it wasnt those two. 

IMG_1963.JPG

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Helix

You have been a staunch advocate of LGBT + rights here which few would disagree with.

But surely there comes a time when some actions are beyond the pale and cannot be excused,like the antics these two trans/ drag queen clowns have indulged in.

Without wishing to trivialize, this is like a West Ham fan trying to justify Kurt Zouma kicking his cat like a rugby ball simply because they are a West Ham fan.

Its OK to say what this pair did bought their cause into disrepute without having to desperately find a way to justify it.

I don't think having a peaceful protest with a couple of signs is "beyond the pale".