Isle of Pride

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not sure I understand. 

Well I’m just trying to understand the composition of the committee. Nobody invited me to join, nor would I have expected them to.

If I had been so invited it would have been out of the blue and I wouldn’t have had a clue why

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Just now, Roxanne said:

I volunteered to work at last year's event. After, by email, I was invited by Claire Barber to join the committee.

Oh right. Thank you for your answer/ explanation.

You should have joined.

As an aside on a completely different subject, should the committee disassociate themselves from the pronouncements of the two trans/ drag queen  people?( It’s a question time question not aimed specifically at you Rox)

I really think this pair have not done the LGBT+ cause any favours and talking to a couple of members of that community ( I don’t know many) they wish they had kept their mouths shut.

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

How is the committee selected? 
Is there a vote for positions?

I’m not sure. From the above it looks like invite only whether you’ve any actual experience of what it’s like to be gay or bi or trans or not. I get that bit about what they were saying. 

Edited by BriT

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I really think this pair have not done the LGBT+ cause any favours and talking to a couple of members of that community ( I don’t know many) they wish they had kept their mouths shut

Of the couple dozen or so I know, most are supportive of the message the two put out. The discrepancy is likely based on age, and how many are in the more oppressed groups (i.e. trans rather than gay).

Just now, BriT said:

I’m not sure. From the above it looks like invite only whether you’ve any actually experience of what it’s like to be gay or bi or trans or not. I get that but about what they were saying. 

Perhaps they should have invited applications rather than what seems to be self selection. Rox is not sure why she was invited to join. My gay acquaintance David didn’t. Seems very random and self serving

But then again who are the “Isle of Pride” people who would have issued these invitations.

What is the Genesis of the Isle of Pride. It’s good thing but how did it all start?

37 minutes ago, HeliX said:

and how many are in the more oppressed groups (i.e. trans rather than gay).

Do you really think trans are treated worse than any other members of the queer community? I’d say there is probably more general acceptance of that group. I see the word heteronormative has been used above. I’d suggest that if you like cock it’s now often more acceptable for people to acknowledge that you want to be a woman as that’s heteronormative from a societal point of view than accepting that people might be happy being gay. It could well be the trans lobby are doing the gay/queer groups a great disservice because as soon as they get what they want (to be accepted as the gender they want to be) society will accept them as fitting into accepted norms (you were gay, but you're now a woman who still likes cock so that’s fine) rather than staying outside of conventional norms. 

2 minutes ago, MrGarrison said:

Do you really think trans are treated worse than any other members of the queer community? I’d say there is probably more general acceptance of that group. I see the word heteronormative has been used above. I’d suggest that if you like cock it’s now often more acceptable for people to acknowledge that you want to be a woman as that’s heteronormative from a societal point of view than accepting that people might be happy being gay. It could well be the trans lobby are doing the gay/queer groups a great disservice because as soon as they get what they want (to be accepted as the gender they want to be) society will accept them as fitting into accepted norms (you were gay, but you're now a woman who still likes cock so that’s fine) rather than staying outside of conventional norms. 

Do you see a lot of mainstream media pondering whether gay people are really gay or just mentally ill?

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Do you see a lot of mainstream media pondering whether gay people are really gay or just mentally ill?

So you’re denying gay conversion therapy and historic electro treatment of gay people never happened as supposed mental health treatments? It would seem to many that the trans lobby have the easiest time of the lot. At some day most will just end up fitting into a heteronormative society accepted in the gender that they want to be whilst their gay and LGBT+++++ comrades still end up being marginalized. It always surprises me how the trans lobby are allowed to fit into the queer world and muddy the waters when really their ultimate aim is to fit in with societal norms regarding sexuality and gender and live a normal life in the gender they choose to be.