Isle of Pride

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

It wasn't the "woke" who were trying to get that thread removed. It was snowflakes who can't just not click on something they don't want to read because they have zero willpower and want to make it someone else's problem.

None of the above. I started the thread and I took it down as I was sick to the back teeth of it being turned into another "trans" topic

Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble...

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

None of the above. I started the thread and I took it down as I was sick to the back teeth of it being turned into another "trans" topic

Deleting pages and pages of discussion because you didn't want to read it is pretty much what I'd expect from a clown like you so that figures.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chie said:

So that’s a no to educating yourself then? 

Its not education in any shape or form it’s simply expressing your woke opinions and beliefs. Don’t try to ad any credibility to your “opinion” by suggesting it’s education fir anyone. I expressed a perfectly reasonable view that the trans lobby actually do have a relatively easy ride when compared to attitudes gay people had to tolerate in previous decades. Despite this I would also bet the a lot of the Pride community are getting thoroughly sick of the tactics being used by the militant trans lobby which discredit a lot of what people have worked for over the years in terms of acceptance. People have the right to be whatever they want to be. What they don’t have the right to do is bully people who don’t share their world view out of jobs and publicly attack them for expressing views that conflict with theirs. Or who basically act like sad, pathetic, whinny twats, whenever they don’t get their own way. 

35 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I have to point out that if you start a topic with the heading "Oh dear ...." then it's a bit rich to complain that people use it to discuss a variety of matters, including some you may not have wanted.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MrGarrison said:

Its not education in any shape or form it’s simply expressing your woke opinions and beliefs. Don’t try to ad any credibility to your “opinion” by suggesting it’s education fir anyone. I expressed a perfectly reasonable view that the trans lobby actually do have a relatively easy ride when compared to attitudes gay people had to tolerate in previous decades. 

Education doesn't mean agreement.  You can learn stuff about what people believe without believing it yourself and you can check factual content against other sources.

I actually read Chie's point as being about the relative positions of trans people and non-trans gay people at the moment (and by implication in the Anglosphere).  You may be right that in the past trans people (or at least some, more gender-conforming, trans people) were seen as more acceptable and the same may be true in some other societies (eg Iran).  But we're talking about the here and now, where there seems to a bit of what can only be described as a trans-panic, though a very strange, confected-feeling, one that seems to be generated entirely by the print media (and echoed by social media rather than the other way around).

When you look at what individual member of the public believe about how trans people should operate in society, there's actually not much difference between the two 'sides'.  And yet the whole thing is built up into some great crisis.  Rather than shouting at each other, we should probably stop and consider what is actually going on here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrGarrison said:

Its not education in any shape or form it’s simply expressing your woke opinions and beliefs. Don’t try to ad any credibility to your “opinion” by suggesting it’s education fir anyone. I expressed a perfectly reasonable view that the trans lobby actually do have a relatively easy ride when compared to attitudes gay people had to tolerate in previous decades. Despite this I would also bet the a lot of the Pride community are getting thoroughly sick of the tactics being used by the militant trans lobby which discredit a lot of what people have worked for over the years in terms of acceptance. People have the right to be whatever they want to be. What they don’t have the right to do is bully people who don’t share their world view out of jobs and publicly attack them for expressing views that conflict with theirs. Or who basically act like sad, pathetic, whinny twats, whenever they don’t get their own way. 

It is education though. It’s educating yourself on the issue you are trying to argue against. All you have done really is shout the usual buzz words such as, “trans lobby”, “militant”, “woke”, without actually bothering to understand whether..

A. What you are stating is even true, or whether you are being prompted to this way of thinking by the media invented culture war. Or,

B. What those words actually mean.

I would argue in terms of “militant” that the gender critics, media and certain famous people have taken militant to a whole other level than what any trans person has at the moment. I mean, Posy (dozy) Parker wants men with guns to stand guard in womens bathrooms. Which, given the gender critic stance on the issue, is absolutely laughable and rejects the ideology she is trying to push.

Your main issue is that you are listening to all of these sources and believing that any left leaning liberal, that states any form of support in regards to trans rights, is this crazed extremist. When in truth, most of the hype you see in the media focuses on a very small percentage of us that exist mainly on the far left. The rest of us are actually quite amicable individuals that are more than willing to sit down with you and have a reasonable conversation and share our experiences with you. However, if someone spouts some nonsense, we will also challenge it, given the damage it can and is causing to our community. That doesn’t make someone a radical, that’s just someone sticking up for their community and trying to curb the flow of misinformation that is doing the rounds. When you read or watch the news or see YouTube videos of thugs in black masks. That is a very very very tiny minority of people who are being given way more airtime and sensationalised into a much larger crowd than they are. The rest of us wouldn’t dream of acting like that at a protest, if we felt the need, we would protest peacefully without violence, if challenged there may be shouting, but violence, unless instigated against us, is a no. The ones you see engaging in that at each of these protests are generally the same few people over and over.

You also mention people being chased out of their jobs? I am guessing you are referring to Kathleen Stock, among others. Would you feel the same way if a tutor at the IOM college refused to teach young people that were black?, or refused to teach women?, or decided that cis white males were no longer welcome in their class? You might say you wouldn’t care but in reality you would be outraged. For the above, a tutor would be instantly taken to a disciplinary and probably sacked with a good portion of the public agreeing with the decision. Kathleen Stock however wasn’t sacked, she left of her own accord due to the student backlash.

Should she have been forced to leave her job? I genuinely don’t know what my answer is to that. On the one hand, as stated, i firmly believe that freedom of speech is essential and everyone should be entitled to their views. But, on the other hand, just because you have views, doesn’t mean you should go out of your way to show disrespect to the people your views are against. She would have been more than aware of the political climate in her university and her situation definitely wasn’t the first. So, she would have been more than aware of the potential outcomes and yet did it anyway. I have sometimes wondered if she wanted to martyr herself for whatever cause it is the gender critics think they are fighting. I mean, she went out with loud cries of “I’ve been cancelled” and then goes on to write books, speak at events and generally is making a ton of money from her involvement in the gender critter movement. Is it so hard to just show respect to another human being? Do pronouns REALLY cause anyone that much offence? And before you state “Well the trans lobby also….”. You have to remember one thing, they started this attack, we didn’t. We were getting along perfectly fine, with everything heading in the right direction in regards to rights, access to health care etc. And then, the gender critic rear their heads and suddenly trans people are being demonised from all angles, of course there is going to be backlash.

Edited by Chie
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chie said:

It is education though. It’s educating yourself on the issue you are trying to argue against. All you have done really is shout the usual buzz words such as, “trans lobby”, “militant”, “woke”, without actually bothering to understand whether..

A. What you are stating is even true, or whether you are being prompted to this way of thinking by the media invented culture war. Or,

B. What those words actually mean.

FFS get over yourself. TL:DR.