Isle of Pride

3 hours ago, Chie said:

I am guessing you are referring to Kathleen Stock, among others. Would you feel the same way if a tutor at the IOM college refused to teach young people that were black?, or refused to teach women?, or decided that cis white males were no longer welcome in their class? You might say you wouldn’t care but in reality you would be outraged. For the above, a tutor would be instantly taken to a disciplinary and probably sacked with a good portion of the public agreeing with the decision. Kathleen Stock however wasn’t sacked, she left of her own accord due to the student backlash.

Should she have been forced to leave her job? I genuinely don’t know what my answer is to that. On the one hand, as stated, i firmly believe that freedom of speech is essential and everyone should be entitled to their views. But, on the other hand, just because you have views, doesn’t mean you should go out of your way to show disrespect to the people your views are against. She would have been more than aware of the political climate in her university and her situation definitely wasn’t the first.

Stock hasn’t done any of that though has she? For someone who decries other posters for sensationalizing the debate you don’t half sensationalize the debate to suit your own agenda. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/28/sussex-professor-kathleen-stock-resigns-after-transgender-rights-row

Edited by BriT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BriT said:

Stock hasn’t done any of that though has she? For someone who decries other posters for sensationalizing the debate you don’t half sensationalize the debate to suit your own agenda. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/28/sussex-professor-kathleen-stock-resigns-after-transgender-rights-row

Apologies, I'm not particularly tech savvy, being someone who works in the fresh air, but this link is worth following

https://medium.com/@kathleenstock/text-of-email-recently-sent-to-philosophy-students-f38c8f0a1a2a

Someone recently said that some people seem to think empathy has to mean submission.  

Edited by Hoops
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BriT said:

The only bit that gives a sense of in accuracy is the first bit, she wasn’t forced out for refusing to teach students. I meant to refer to reactions to her attitudes on pronouns and sex after the examples as to why she felt forced to leave. Secondly, the rest is true, she did show disrespect to her trans students. No one was disrespecting her, as per usual with the gender critics, she started it. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Chie said:

The only bit that gives a sense of in accuracy is the first bit, she wasn’t forced out for refusing to teach students. I meant to refer to reactions to her attitudes on pronouns and sex after the examples as to why she felt forced to leave. Secondly, the rest is true, she did show disrespect to her trans students. No one was disrespecting her, as per usual with the gender critics, she started it. 🤷‍♀️

"There was no substantive allegations of wrongdoing made against her." University spokesperson.

"I made a practice of using preferred pronouns and names." Kathleen Stock.

Is she not entitled to her own views on these matters, is she not allowed to profess her opinion on these matters,as long as she treats people with respect? 

37 minutes ago, Hoops said:

"There was no substantive allegations of wrongdoing made against her." University spokesperson.

Is she not entitled to her own views on these matters, is she not allowed to profess her opinion on these matters,as long as she treats people with respect? 

Sadly no - it’s their way or the highway. Co-existence means nothing to them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoops said:

She is entitled to her views. Iv stated that several times over. But, she also did show disrespect to trans students. I can however admit when I’m wrong. Which may shock and horror you. There’s been a lot of rhetoric between now and then and I must have confused different points of the debate. My apologies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chie said:

She is entitled to her views. Iv stated that several times over. But, she also did show disrespect to trans students. I can however admit when I’m wrong. Which may shock and horror you. There’s been a lot of rhetoric between now and then and I must have confused different points of the debate. My apologies.

Yea but you’ve stated wrong views and made stuff up to suit your silly woke narrative as Hoops and BriT have shown. 

10 hours ago, Chie said:

No you just fail to read it properly as you seem to be far too keen to tell other posters. Hoops has picked up on it correctly “There was no substantive allegations of wrongdoing made against her." as confirmed by the University. Just a load of bullying trans activists who bullied her out of her job by making things impossible for her. There really is something sinister and nasty about Gen Z folk in particular. They’re like pack animals ganging up on people on social media and on campuses etc as they lack the balls to act on their own initiative as individuals. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BriT said:

Just saying it as I see it. There seems to be enough boomer hatred on these boards spread by these woke types. 

1. I did admit I was wrong and just because the university found no wrong doing doesn’t mean she is free from blame. As I stated, she knew what she was doing, she did choose to disrespect trans student with what she said. You may disagree, super, welcome to freedom of speech. Since then has engaged in a whole host of anti trans activity and rhetoric, so defending her is a mute point imo.

2. I don’t think I mentioned boomers. In fact I don’t think I ever mentioned age in any form or generation.

3. I’m not Gen X, close though.